Installing OS from external drive

Reaction score
I attempted to wipe my HD and re-install OS. I loaded the disk, chose the proper install option, and the computer erased my HD--and then the CD/DVD drive failed. Now it won't read the disk. Spins it around for a minute and then just ejects it. So I am stuck with a computer with no OS. Can I install OS from an external drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You should be able to boot from an external usb drive - assuming its an intel mac. You will need to clone your install disk using a program like superduper, then a start-up with the alt key pressed should see the external.

But first make sure the install disc hasn't got any dirt on it

OP
B
Reaction score
How about installing from another computer connected via firewire? I have and older ibook that I could connect. Any idea what I should do after I start up the computer and hit the "T" key?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You could try that but unless you have a retail copy of tiger, rather than the grey restore disks specific to the Macbook, the installer will not work running on the older iBook

If you have a retail OS disk then you need to connect them up and restart the MacBook with the T key and use iBook to try and insatll OS X

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.