iDVD 5.0 Crash Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Not sure what is going on here. Didn't have any problems with burning DVD's until tonight. I have tried burning and saving as an .img and everytime it gets to the very end of encoding the movie and then just unexpectedly crashes every time. I have rebooted, erased preference files, and erased and reinstalled iDVD with the same results on all projects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
I get problems burning DVDs in iDVD 5 as well, so far I've successfully burnt.... none. It gives me an error at the same time as yours crashes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
hey, its edgefusion, havent seen you around recently. hi.
back on topic.
that sounds weird. did you remove all traces of idvd before reinstalling? it could just be an extension conflict within the app itself.
do you have quicktime pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
Hey Macman. :) I visit most days but don't always post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I have removed every single trace of it and I have QuickTime pro. I did all the repair permissions yada yada stuff as well. It never happened until last night. I am going to try to burn a project that has burnt successfully

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alrighty heres an update

It looks like it might just be a problem with the video file I am trying to burn. I was getting an invalid drawable error in my console log which has been traced back to font issues. I ran Font Doctor and it fixed a few things but still couldn't burn or save the video as an img file. I tried out an old slideshow I made and it worked without a hitch.

The video that I am having problems with was an mpeg movie a girl upstairs made. I was trying to burn it to a DVD. I converted it to an avi file using Forty-twoDVDVX Plus.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright well all solved. The issue was with the .avi file that I was using. I took the mpeg and imported it to iMovie. Using MPEG Streamclip I was able to extract the audio out of the original movie (since iMovie loses the mpeg audio upon importing) and added the audio back to the movie in iMovie. Created a disk image and burned and it all worked fine

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Very cool. I will try all that with an AVI I am having problems with. Thanks for the tip.

J

Jason

My iDVD crashes every single freaking time I try to burn a home movie that was edited in iMovie. I haven't been able to burn crap. This is really infuriating me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.