Small Business Point of Sale (POS) software question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm a small business owner (retail) looking for current mac-based point of sale software recommendations. I am in need of something that 1) scans barcodes, 2) has reporting capabilities, 3) capability for data export for business/trend analysis and accounting purposes and lastly 4) can record customer data and connect specific customers with invoices.

I actually opened my store last year and had gone with a mac-based SAAS point of sale solution only to learn once I opened up that a web-based point of sale solution isn't right for me (the lag experienced was painful even with a business-class high speed broadband connection - in my business I need invoices to ring up quickly, and for my customers not to get hung up in line while I wait for my receipt to start printing and my drawer to pop). Additionally, the software company I went with also made numerous haphazard and forced server-based application upgrades throughout the year which caused significant problems to my retail store operations (problems which then revealed how inadequate their customer support processes were as I went days to months without being able to process credit cards, print barcode labels, have sales taxes charged correctly, unable to export any data from my system in anything other than PDF, etc). My 12 month contract is finally coming to a close so I am searching for something new to use.

The whole situation has just killed my trust in other potential solutions I've found. I simply don't want to, nor can I afford to make another mistake of this magnitude again (the Saas solution company is today still highlighted at the Apple Retail website, but because I am still using their system while searching for another I hesitate to mention their name.)

Among my finalists, I've identified: Checkout (by MYOB), Lightspeed, and POSIM (by Ensign). Does anyone out there have experience with any of these? Does anyone have any other recommendations? One thing I've been told by my accountant is to get Quickbooks or something which can export to Quickbooks since they use it (primarily for Windows, but they also have the Mac version as well). I've not read much "current" information or reviews on how well Quickbooks for the Mac is in 2009 (post the significant changes/updates made in early 2008). Is Quickbooks for the Mac any good? How is file conversion between Mac and Windows? - seamless? nighmarish?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Reaction score
Any luck?

I see you got no replies-- too bad. I have the same question. Did you decide on something? How is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.