Advice for reformatting iMac

M

MsKitton

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and apologise if I'm posting in the wrong place!

I use a MacBook and am very happy with it. A friend recently inherited an old iMac from a flatmate and since he hates all things Apple, he passed it on to me. I'd love to get it up and running, but don't have the first clue of how to override the login system and reformat. The old owner didn't leave the password, and I'm wondering if there's any way around it without going to the shop?

Ideally, I want to get in and reformat without touching any of the old owners stuff. Apparently he had quite exotic tastes in what he downloaded and stored, and I don't want to have to deal with any of that!

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,
MK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First off get the operating system you need and please note the discs from your Macbook will not install on an iMac - you must have black coloured full retail install discs.

You do not give the model details, if it is a G4 go for Tiger OS X.5, or a G3 Panther OS X.3. Pop the install DVD in,. reboot and hold down 'C' after the chimes, run Repair Disk, then format, taking up the zeroing option if you wish, and run thew install program and update over the net.

After the install you will be able to enter your own details including password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If you have the original install disks that came with the iMac you could always go in and change the passwords and then just delete his user folder - as long as there is another user already set up - if not add a new user. Run the install program and just before you hit the install button check drop down menus for Change passwords.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.