OS X Acting up one me, lock-ups...

S

StealthMode

OS X Acting up on me, lock-ups...

For some reason, all of a sudden OS X keeps locking up when I try to access the applications folder, or try to do other things. It sits there a crunches, and locks up, or is in an infinite crunch. I was downloading the update to limewire, but I canceled part way into the download. Well, I can't delete the partial file off the desktop, I click on it, and it goes back into infinite crunch mode. The only way to restart my powerbook is to hold the power button till it turns off, and then power up again. This is getting REALLY frustrating since I can't do a thing in OS X . Any ideas as to *** is ging on, and how I can fix this? I really appreciate any help.

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Have you tried working in the terminal? Will that work?

OP
S

StealthMode

No I haven't, what should I do from there? I can't seem to be able to access hardly anything with out it going into crunchmode. Man I am getting frustrated, I need it for school, plus I got assignments on it. DoH! What a night :D

Stealth -

OP
N

nko

Do you have any experience with a terminal?

Basically, all you've gotta do is launch Terminal from the Applications -> Utilities directory (hopefully it doesn't choke before you get there!). Once the terminal is up and running and waiting for your command, it should work to just do the following commands:

cd Desktop

rm thefilesexactname

However, it sounds like something's really not right with your system. I occasionally get permanent hangs and stuff, too. I think Finder might just be buggy. Most people never have a single problem. I've gotta restart the computer from time to time with the power button. I hope Panther's Finder will be more stable. I'm already drooling at the new features!

OP
S

StealthMode

I have no experiance with the terminal. Also, as soon as I click applications, it freezes. :-/ I am running some disk utilities right now off my OS X Disc .

Stealth -

OP
N

nko

Heh, at first I thought you meant that you were trying to do everything while running disk utilities in the background.

It probably wont work, but try rebooting, then in Finder (without opening any windows yet), go Go -> Folder and navigate to the Utilities folder.

OP
S

StealthMode

It seems what ever I try access , no matter what it is outside the desktop only, it goes into Infinite Crunch-Mode

Stealth -

OP
S

StealthMode

Is there a key command for the terminal by chance?? That miight work better then this..

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No there isnt as far as I know.. this is really strange.. I have not had any problems with my finder.. ever! at least with OS X that is.. it's probably because of LimeWire.. they're pretty messed up anyways.. hmm..
hmm..
hmm..

Are you logged in as the administrator?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you log out.. or restart your computer.. and then whoever you set as the administrator.. log in as that person.

OP
S

StealthMode

heh, you make is sound so easy! But, I don't get that screen, (how do I get it to popup when I am booting up?) and when I try to logout, it hangs on me again. Like I said, I can't hardly do anything with out it hanging.
Thanx again

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, you're definitely having problems arent you? :( Hmm.. Ok it sounds like something is quite wrong.. so what I would do is just let it sit there with the disk spinning. When something has gone wrong with my computer.. I usually shut it down.. even if it looks like it has hung, usually it is just fixing itself.. then it will shutdown/restart.. and when you bring it back up.. it usually takes a long time again (5mins - 1hour) to continue fixing itself and then everything is great.

See if you can do that.. unless it's just plain hanging no matter how long you wait..

OP
S

StealthMode

I had it just sitten there for a long time, close to a half hour with nuthing, but, I'll try it, heck, I need to get to sleep. 4:30am here.... Talk to you tomorrow, hopefully I can get this thing working...
Thanx again

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah once you get up.. give us the status of how it's doing.. exactly what it is doing, so forth and so forth.. between all of us.. we should be able to figure it out :)

OP
S

StealthMode

Well, I managed to logout, but there was no admin option, so I just signed back in with my usual (and onlky account) and its been loggintg in now for about 5 minutes or more. I'll let ya know tomorrow..erm in a fiew hours how its comen. Thanx :)

Stealth -

OP
N

nko

I can think of a zillion solutions, all beginning with, "Open a terminal and..." This is frustrating! I feel your pain :).

OP
S

StealthMode

Ok, it was logging in all night, I had to manually poweroff again, booted up, force quit my AV software, and now I am crunching because I went into Finder.

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time to call Apple support.. I have no idea what is going on.. something is most definitely awry :(

OP
S

StealthMode

OK, I bit the bullet, I reinstalled, and i still have my programs too, and so far it all works. I installed it between classes LOL Only took about 20 minutes. So far it works ok, I'll let ya know later.

Stealth -

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.