Can't Type Password in Terminal

Reaction score
I'm changing a sudo command in OS X 10.5.6 on my new iMac and I'm running into a problem. Terminal asks for my password (I'm the Admin) and there's a gray rectangular box after the word "password". I'm unable to type anything. I tried typing my password and pressing return. Nothing happens but another prompt to enter my password.

I've repaired permissions after installing the latest updates. I also tried typing in my password before I installed my latest updates. Either way Terminal won't allow me to type in my password.

I wonder if Terminal is corrupt. ?

This is a brand new computer which arrived yesterday.

I purchased software, which requires a sudo command, and that's where I'm having the problem. The software is compatible with Leopard. I know, that's why I purchased a new computer. It was a good excuse for an upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Terminal won't echo anything while entering your password. Sounds like you've typoed it?

OP
W
Reaction score
Now Error Messages

Actually I tried it several times and got no results.

After all those unsuccessful tries it worked and I got error messages. One showed up in TextEdit and the second in Terminal.

First error message:
-----
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
-----

Second error message:
-----
009-04-17 20:36:29.427 TextEdit[304:c0b] *** CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port = 0x4403, name = 'com.apple.TextEdit.ServiceProvider'
See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.
-----

Looks like this denied me access.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.