Using Airport Express to extend network

Reaction score
I have a wireless network set up by AT&T and I have an airport express from when I had a cable ISP. Can I use my airport express to extend the range of the network set up by AT&T? I would love to be able to have access to the internet now that I weather is becoming nice.

Thanks

OP
B
Reaction score
It's just your basic wireless network.

I want to use the Airport Express as a jumper. Is that possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My guess is that if you have to ask that question then you are probably not knowledgeable enough about wireless systems to be able to do it, if it is possible. Much better to use an Apple Airport product connected to your modem by ethernet and then to use another Apple unit to extend your network wirelessly. Seems to be a lot less drama connecting Apple units to Apple units rather than Apple to Brand X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Airport units will only extend the wireless capabilities of other Airport units. You can create a bridge by plugging an ethernet cable from your Airport Express into your AT&T router, but that gets ugly.

If you really need to extend your wireless, you're better off buying another Express to connect to the DSL router supplied by AT&T and use your current Express to wirelessly extend it.

Reaction score
Hi, So... In my house, there is a problem with the wireless. In the family room/majority of the house, the wireless works beautifully. There is however a fireplace between the part of the house that works with wireless, and the part that doesnt work. I think the fireplace may be blocking the wireless connection. If i purchase the airport express, can i put it in the room that the wireless doesnt work in, and it will work? My daughter keeps complaining and i really need to figure this out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
In my experience one needs to line up wireless units carefully, i found that a bookcase limited range greatly so your brick fireplace would be well worth avoiding. Eyeball connection alignments for best path - plasterboard seems Ok but not too many thicknesses and especially if the studs between plaster board are in direct line between your wireless units.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.