New to the iPhone

Reaction score
Ok, so long story short, I decided to switch from Verizon to AT&T and thus from my v6800 with windows mobile to the iPhone. I must say that my first impressions are great, I really like the phone; I do have some questions though.

1) Windows mobile had a task manager which allowed me to see which tasks were running in the background. I could close the tasks out to free up memory. Is this type of application necessary for the iPhone?

2) The GPS software I had for my v6800 would show me the satellites in which I was connected to. The iPhone only seems to have google maps and I can not see if I am connected to any satellites. It seemed as if my accuracy was off by a large margin so I assume that the phone was only working off of cell towers. Is there an application that will show which satellites I am connected to and what my accuracy is?

I think that's about all I have for now.

Thanks all for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
1) Windows mobile had a task manager which allowed me to see which tasks were running in the background. I could close the tasks out to free up memory. Is this type of application necessary for the iPhone?
There is no task manager for the iPhone to monitor background applications. The iPhone does not allow apps to run in the background. So as soon as you press the home button the app stops running. It may be necessary to turn off and on your phone every once in a while if you believe it is acting slow.

2) The GPS software I had for my v6800 would show me the satellites in which I was connected to. The iPhone only seems to have google maps and I can not see if I am connected to any satellites. It seemed as if my accuracy was off by a large margin so I assume that the phone was only working off of cell towers. Is there an application that will show which satellites I am connected to and what my accuracy is?
The iPhone does not only work off the cell towers. It uses actual GPS along with the towers. As for an app showing which satellites, I have not seen one yet. Maybe someone will be able to point you to one if any are available.

OP
J
Reaction score
Eric559,

Thanks for the quick reply and the info. I was hoping to hear exactly what you said regarding the task manager question.

I will keep searching the App store to see if I can find the satellite application which I was looking for.

Thanks again for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
there are two really great apps to avoid the occasional hard boot when your phone slows down.

Memory info is a great one that will reclaim 45mb and show batt level.
Free memorey does the same but will only free 20 mb

I use Memory info and it works like a dream Both in the app store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.