The proper way to remove a program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am trying to learn to do this from the GUI and not cheat by dropping into a terminal and hacking under the covers. I already know Unix - I need to learn OSX.

I downloaded an apt (iSofa) for my Mini jukebox, but wanted to try it on my IMac. It loaded and worked fine, but now I want to remove it. It didn't install in Applications or Utilities, so I did a Spotlight search which indicated that it is installed in Applications and the .dmg file is in Documents.

However, neither one of them is in my Applications or Documents folder and the original iSofa.dmg is in my Downloads folder and Spotlight didn't show it.

So, I am slightly confused. Are there other (maybe global? root?) Applications and Documents folders? And why does Spotlight not show the real file that is still in my Downloads folder?

Konan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Just drag and drop the application icon to the trash can. You should of trashed the .dmg file when you installed the application from it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if you have problems download AppTrap. It will remove all associated files when you move an application to the trash.

OP
K
Reaction score
Therein lies the problem. I don't have an application icon. As I said, I can see it with Spotlight and it says that it is under Applications, but when I open the applications folder, it is not there.

And it says that iSofa.dmg is in Documents, but it is not - the file is in Downloads.

Konan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Try AppTrapp like harryb suggested and see what that does.

Reaction score
If you have the dmg file you can re-install the program, then use the aforementioned Apptrap or AppCleaner or AppDelete to remove it fully. If there is a duplicate copy, those 3 programs should find it along with the preferences files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.