Unable to share external drive over network

Reaction score
Hi folks,

A bit of a head scratcher here. I'm using a setup that I've had for quite some time now, which has worked up until recently.

I have an external usb drive with 2 partitions, one for time machine backups, and one for media. I have previously shared the media partition over my network while using regular os x tiger and leopard (over the course of two different OS installs), simply by selecting the "shared" option from the "get info" option for that particular partition.

I recent upgraded my mac mini to OS X 10.5 server. Exact same setup as before, just running server edition instead of the typical copy of leopard. For some reason I can no longer see my the media partition on my network. I can see the time machine backup partition just fine.

The only thing I can think of is that the media partition uses FAT32 formating instead of OS X Journaled. But even that doesn't add up, seeming as it's been setup that way the entire time with no problems previously.

I have also tried setting up an FTP server, but am unable to change the FTP root to reside on the external drive, as the drive doesn't show up as an optional location.

Does anybody know what I'm missing here? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

P.S. I hope this is in the right section of the forum. Feel free to move this if there's a better spot for it. Cheers.

Reaction score
I note there have been no replies to this in two years, which is worrying as I have essentially the same problem - but starting even earlier. I have a G3 with Tiger 10.4.11 installed with NTFS-3G added, This shows me the usb 1 TB drive I have plugged in fine. However it does not appear on my Win 7 network, even thought the Mac hard drive does. If I select either the drive or a folder within the drive and file>Get Info I get a 'Get Info" window which has an "Ownership and Permissions": sections which tells me I have read / write permission - but nowhere is there a "Share" option (or any other options) like scrappymcslap
mentioned. So can I share this drive on my network or not? (And if so, how?!)

Peter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.