USB Turntable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, iPod Video, iPod Nano Chrome 16gig
Saw this USB turntable on IWOOT.com and very interested in getting it. First of all, I want to know if anyone has one, or a similar type one to see if it is worth it, or is there is a better one on the market?

Also wanted to know if my Blackbook would work with it? It says:

Please note that the turntable is not compatible with Macs with Pentium chips.

Not sure if mine has a pentium chip or not! Anyone know off the top of their head, or know how to find out??

Edit - Also just found this one. Slightly cheaper, but from what I can see doesn't do the old 78s...
Any thoughts??

Cheers peeps!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
That USB one on iwoot is a piece of junk, honestly it is.
How old is your Blackbook? Not that it matters, don't buy that thing.
Here's the best way (I have made hundreds of vinyl rips)
Get a turntable with a built in pre-amp like this one;

Bush MTT 1 SILVER Turntable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I have this and it's very very good for this purpose. You just connect to line in, with the pre-amp switched on (if you don't use it it's horribly quiet), and use Audacity or Audio Hijack Pro (my fave) to record.
I also use an Edirol USB interface and a seperate pre-amp, but it's not necessary, it's just my preference.
You'll be hard pushed to find a turntable that will play 78's now. Of course if you have one, you can use that!

Reaction score
LOL! Pentium Chips! I think the manufacturer meant to say "Intel" chips.

OP
Clueless
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, iPod Video, iPod Nano Chrome 16gig
Bush MTT 1 SILVER Turntable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Aha, thanks for this suggestion - it looks great, and a heck of a lot cheaper too!

LOL! Pentium Chips! I think the manufacturer meant to say "Intel" chips.

Lol, thanks, this one makes me feel a lot less daft now - I couldn't for the life of me work out what it meant.

Cheers guys.

Reaction score
USB turn tables are junk. My advice: buy an old turn table on E-bay. Buy a pre-amplifier with MD RIAA correction on E-bay. Connect to your Mac directly or with a Roland Analog to USB device.
If you buy a turn table with ceramic cartage, you can connect it direct to your Mac, but it will be less good. A sort of cheap alternative.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.