Scrolling with an iMac

D

DVD Guy

There are actually 2 immediate concers for me when I receive my iMac. The first is the lack of a scroll wheel on the mouse. When scrolling through pages, what do you do?

The second is the lack of a right click feature to cut, copy, paste, etc. How do you perform these functions and get used to the "new" way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
:)

press control click for right click (believe it or not its really easy and you forget your doing it sometimes.

use arrow keys or space bar (i use and i have a 4 button mouse)

or just buy a kensington mouse or other 3rd party usb mice.

also, there are really easy to use key commands to copy and paste with out a 2nd button on the mouse, I for example have the 2nd button and use the key commands as much as possible.

command v to paste
command c to copy
command w to close
command q to quit
command p to print
command tab to change apps
command shift 3 or 4 to take a screen shot and then space bar to take of a specific app.

those are just a few off the top of my head. not to mention all the ones i cant think of but i use all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
also, in safarit or firefox, page down srolls almost one full screen/page down, page up goes up in the same way, home takes you to the top of the page, end to the bottom. or buy a 2 button mouse with a scroll whewl.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
The arrow keys are great for on line scrolling, up, down & sideways for those extra wide posts on some forums. Add the control key and and you can go back to the previous page or forward to the next with the sideways arrows. Control [ & ] are the usual keys used though.
A held left click will bring up the context menu on anything placed on the dock, control click gets to be a habit though.
Have fun with your Mac and if it gets to be too much of a problem grab a scroll mouse. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Don't copy and paste. Drag and drop.

Page Up/Page Down are another way to scroll. Or just get a scroll wheel mouse, as others have said.
[EDIT: There's also the scroll bar...I know, it's not as easy as having a wheel, but it really doesn't take too much time to grab the bright blue thumb and scroll.)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
OP
D

DVD Guy

Sorry...but just to clarify. Will a 2 button mouse with scroll wheel allow me to right click on a Mac just like a PC will?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
A USB 2 button mouse will work on a mac just fine, the right click will work and so will the wheel.

OP
D

DVD Guy

Thanks! As a soon to be switcher this is one of the things that have kept me away from Macs. Us PC users need to be more educated on the operation on Macs.

Thanks for the help!!!

OP
W

warrenbert

As always, I swear by "Sidetrack". It's a shareware program (reasonably priced at $15) that enables pc-like functionality in your ibook touchpad (pre-2005 ibooks currently).

I love it. I can scroll, right click and have custom tapping areas. Easier than connecting a mouse all the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.