Stolen iPhone 3G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
So today I was at K1 Speed, a karting place in Anaheim. Like every other race I empty my pockets and place everything into a bin, I am usually pretty protective about my phone - but not here for some reason. And I go for a race, come back, and my phone is gone... Long story short AT&T can't help me, and I have to file a police report tomorrow and call Apple's stolen iPhone department.... But in a panic I changed all of my passwords, Mobile Me too, and after doing that I realize that the guy added a contact which synced to my computer!! SO now I have one of his friend's name and address, I am going back to the kart place tomorrow to get the names of the people in the race before me to give to the Police too, so they have a list of like 20 people to deal with...

Do you guys think there is light at the end of the tunnel??....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I had no idea that Apple had a stolen iPhone department...

Too bad you can't see if they add more contacts. Like a "home" contact or something like that.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had no idea that Apple had a stolen iPhone department...

Too bad you can't see if they add more contacts. Like a "home" contact or something like that.

Yea neither did I, when I called apple the customer service rep was like, "wait let me get you the stolen iPhone department number, but only the police can talk to them"

Yea, kicking myself about that right now.. but I'm glad I got one number, instead of him still receiving my emails...

I just went to Gmail and disabled POP and IMAP, do you think he will still be able to read my emails? or does that get deleted with the disable??..

and I had Bank of America installed.. uhhggg. I'm really not liking this.. I ordered the passkey from them though, just in case...

Note to everybody else. Don't get your iPhone, let alone phones stolen!!!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
and I had Bank of America installed.. uhhggg. I'm really not liking this.. I ordered the passkey from them though, just in case...

Note to everybody else. Don't get your iPhone, let alone phones stolen!!!

Wow that really sucks. I can't believe that something like that would happen like that especially since I go there as well.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would have AT&T shut the service off immediately. That will pretty much turn off all Internet access, unless the dude is hopping on Wi-Fi somewhere. But that might buy you some time until Apple issues a remote wipe to it (which I assume is part of what the "stolen iPhone department" does).

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would have AT&T shut the service off immediately. That will pretty much turn off all Internet access, unless the dude is hopping on Wi-Fi somewhere. But that might buy you some time until Apple issues a remote wipe to it (which I assume is part of what the "stolen iPhone department" does).

Yup thats the first thing that I did, don't need a bunch of calls to Europe or anything like that. lol

And it turns out they don't have a stolen iPhone division. Which is weird because I talked to the apple customer service rep about it and he was very specific that they don't talk any body other than police officers. I called the number that he gave me and it was just their corporate building. :\ I'm not doubting the rep, but I'm thinking that it is just in case of emergencies like e911 is... Really had my hopes up too... Oh well, I'll be camping out night of again this summer i guess!! :D haha

AT&T should really be offering protection plans for the iPhone... IMO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Wow, sorry to hear about that!

This is why I use the passkey lock... it's a pain to enter it every now & then, but at least if my iPhone is ever stolen or lost, they won't be able to access my info.

Change your Gmail password and any other passwords you had stored on the phone as well! The crooks will probably just wipe it or sell it, but you never know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4gb DDR3 unibody, iPhone 3G 16gb, iPod Touch 16gb
i thought if you have mobile me you are able to track your iphone remotely via computer?

Reaction score
Which, like aptmunich, is why I use the password lock, and engage the "erase data" feature if the password fails 10 times. Also, you can locate the phone and remotely wipe it with MobileMe (which really makes the $99/yr price more attractive).

With all the stuff you keep on an iPhone, I absolutely want it protected and "wipe-able" from a distance.

I also just realized you can remotely lock the phone with a new password from MobileMe . . . did you try that?

Reaction score
im kinda shocked that AT&T arent able to do anything if you get your iphone stolen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
im kinda shocked that AT&T arent able to do anything if you get your iphone stolen

Why should they?

Does Sony do anything if your TV is stolen?
Does Honda do anything if your car is stolen?
Does Foot Locker do anything if your shoes are stolen?

No, because quite frankly it isn't their problem.
Yeah it sucks when anything you own is stolen, but it isn't the retailer's or manufacturer's prerogative to do anything about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Why should they?

Does Sony do anything if your TV is stolen?
Does Honda do anything if your car is stolen?
Does Foot Locker do anything if your shoes are stolen?

No, because quite frankly it isn't their problem.
Yeah it sucks when anything you own is stolen, but it isn't the retailer's or manufacturer's prerogative to do anything about it.
I would disagree: In contrast to Sony or Honda, you don't buy the iPhone outright. You enter a service agreement with the provider. At the end of the service period, you will own the device.

Since you using the service and paying them more money to do so depends on the phone, as your service provider, AT&T should do their best to help you recover it.

If this were technically impossible, oh well. But since they have the ability to locate your phone pretty exactly, it is in their interest.

Reaction score
you are buying the iPhone. You get a discount if you sign up for 2 years of cellular/data service, but that carries a separate fee. So AT&T and/or Apple don't much care about the hardware once you buy it. Should they? That's a customer relations or corporate citizen type question.

Buyers can get insurance (which doesn't help a lot based on coverage limits), can buy a Mobile Me account so they can locate their phone and/or remotely lock it and/or remotely wipe it, or can just take their chances.

Reaction score
OK, ATT shuts off the service when you call them to let them know your phone was Lost or Stolen. But that doesn't LOCK the phone. It only prevents the USER from making calls or using the internet. I'm sure any info you have on the phone can still be accessed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You do realize that you responded to an old post? (December of 2009)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.