mp3 players..

Reaction score
okay so i am trying to getting opinions on mp3 players around 60gb-120gb size i am looking for something aimed more at audio quality as i am thinking of getting a touch for applications etc?

Thanks

OP
R
Reaction score
so im looking for an mp3 player 60gb or bigger that is aimed more at audio quality than anything else and that will play well with mac. Really looking for opinions on other brands than apple, what sort of things are everyone else using?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
60 GB or bigger? Are there any aside from the iPod Classic? Well there is the Zune (snicker), but it hardly plays well with Macs, if at all.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Merged redundant cross-posts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Zune is great, but won't work with your Mac. iPod's sound quality isn't really great. I'd say, "Average" or right below "Above average" at best until you iMod/DIYMod it (which wil get even the most discerning audiophiles to say you basically reached the peak of DAP sound quality).

The Archos 5 is more of a video player, but still a bit better than the iPod (touch) in sound quality. But you wouldn't want to use headphones that cost as much as the player.

Nobody really does high capacity anymore. It's horrid. DAPs have went backwards. Good luck finding a high capacity that's going for sound quality. They all now try to use flash memory and put in too many bells and whistles.

You can try to get the iRiver H-140, but good luck with that. Sure it has 40GB (which like the iPod, you can mod it to get 240GB), but it has features to being a true audio player compared to most like the FM tuner and digital out. But being discontinued, you're way back in line with audiophiles doing everything they can to get it.

Head over to head-fi.org and go to the "Portable Source" section. Sorry about your wallet. Portable Source Gear - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.