Which iMac should I go for?

Reaction score
Alright guys, here's my situation. As of right now I own a Macbook Pro. Here are the specs.

17" Macbook Pro w/ Glossy Screen
- Mac OS X Version 10.5.6
- Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
- Graphics: GeForce 8600M GT

I use this laptop for numerous reasons, but the main reason is for music production. I own a Mbox2 that runs along with Pro Tools 8, the newest version. Prior to upgrading to Pro Tools 8, my macbook ran pretty good when I was doing all of my music production. But, since upgrading, this hasn't been the case. Along with all of the upgrades, new instruments/plug-ins etc. came a slow running macbook. I also do some video editing with Adobe After Effects and plan on getting a copy of Final Cut Pro in the near future. I just recently decided that it's time for me to upgrade to an iMac so I can get better performance out of all my tasks. I am looking at the 24" iMacs because of the increased screen size (helps with editing in Pro Tools) and the performance that is associated with them. I am not super tech savvy when it comes to performance issues, so that is why I am here. I wanted to know which of the three options of the 24" iMac I should look at. Should I go with the 2.66GHz, the 2.93GHz or the 3.06GHz version (also, what are the differences between the three)? Along with video editing, I also play games on my laptop and want my iMac to hold its own on the graphics side, so should I go with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M or upgrade to ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB? Any information would be greatly appreciated guys. Like I said, I am not to tech savvy so as much information as possible would greatly help my decision. I posted this on MacRumors and a lot of people are telling me to just upgrade my RAM. What are yalls suggestions? Thanks a lot!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just my humble opinion...but I don't think that you're going to get much of an upgrade going from 2.4ghz MacBook Pro to one of the newer iMac's.

Those MacBook Pro's are pretty powerful computers. Remember...an iMac (in many ways)...is just a "non-portable" laptop with a bigger monitor.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.