G5 grinding to a halt!

Reaction score
My son's imac G5 is slowly grinding to a halt. It started with 'system overload' messages when using Logic Studio but it has now extended into other areas as well.

Most of the time the system is sluggish and freezes if more than one Word document and 2 or 3 Safari windows are running. Logic can hardly run anything now.

He has tried all the remedies suggested by Apple for a Logic fix and has tried the OSX troubleshooting detailed in this forum 'sticky'. All to no avail.

Can anyone suggest what we might try now please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Might be time for an "Archive and Install".

OP
G
Reaction score
Can anyone kindly explain 'Archive & Install' and it's implications please?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you put in the OSX DVD and boot by holding C, you get to the install menu. In Options you can choose Archive and Install and it will leave all your settings and programs in place. Be sure to check the checkboxes to save everything. It's sort of like the 2nd Repair option in Windows XP but better in my experience and you don't loose anything.

I am wondering though if it might not be the hard drive dying? Just a guess but some of your symptoms sound like it. I would run the Apple Hardware Test off the OSX DVD first. Try booting with the OSX DVD that came with the iMac in the drive and hold down the Option key till the drive selection menu all shows up. See if Apple Hardware Test appears (AHT). If so select that and when it comes up, choose Extended test and let it run. See if it finds anything wrong with the hard drive.

OP
G
Reaction score
dtravis7 - many thanks for the response. We will try your suggestions and report back.

cheers

OP
G
Reaction score
Update - the HD tests were all fine, so we went ahead with Archive/Install.

That appears to have done the trick - thanks. Things in Logic Pro are not crashing where they did before. However, some folders (ie; Components) are blank, yet the program seems to be working with the 'missing' components.

It seems there is stuff in the 'Previous System' back-up that needs to be copied across? Do we need to go through everything to find out what is in Previous Systems but not appearing in the 'new' program files/folders?

If so, do we just drag/drop stuff across?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Dragging stuff from the old system folder should work, or you can you simply reinstall the programs in question. If you drag stuff I would recommend running "Repair permissions" from disc utility when you are done. When you are done you can delete the old system folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.