Videos Keep Making My Mac Crash

Reaction score
I don't understand why this keeps happening

I can't stream videos anymore. It seems to be ok on youtube, but other streaming sites . . . forget it!

This happens constantly. I installed bootcamp and it seems to have "fixed" the problem (I need to spend more time watching vids . . . I hate windows).

Now, I know what you're going to say, "reinstall OSX"

I already did. I'm really thinking of sellling it and going back to Windows (ugh!). Any suggestions before I go crazy?

Reaction score
What version of Leopard are you running? There were some graphics issues when it first came out. So you may want to run Software Update.

OP
R
Reaction score
completely updated.

It has to be something with the motherboard, right?

Perhaps it's overheating. How can I determine if it keeps crashing because of heat?

When I say "crash", I mean the entire computer goes down, not just safari (or firefox, or opera, or any other browser I've tried).

Reaction score
completely updated.

It has to be something with the motherboard, right?

Perhaps it's overheating. How can I determine if it keeps crashing because of heat?

When I say "crash", I mean the entire computer goes down, not just safari (or firefox, or opera, or any other browser I've tried).
In that case, it's probably a hardware problem. What computer do you have?

Reaction score
Not a hardware problem. OS X and bootcamp use the same hardware, and reko said videos play fine in bootcamp.

OP
R
Reaction score
Not a hardware problem. OS X and bootcamp use the same hardware, and reko said videos play fine in bootcamp.

good point.

I should know better. The verdict is still out on windows. I've spent only a fraction of the time with Windows compared to OSX.

Anyway, I didn't want to do a reinstall, ,but I got a good deal on a 320gb HDD, so I had to do a reinstall anyway. I'll let you guys know if it still happens. Thanks

My specs:

2007 refresh:

white macbook
2.16 core 2 duo
2gb ram
Leopard (completely updated)

OP
R
Reaction score
I finally figured it out!

The ram was the culprit.

I ran memtest and it gave me error messages, I initially ran techtools but it kept making my computer crash, so I REINSTALLED the two sticks of 256 I had when I bought it and now it works.

I've been watching videos like crazy without a hitch.

Needless to say, I think I might stay away from Crucial from now on, but I do know they have a lifetime warranty, so I'm going to ask for a replacement and give it a shot first (save me a few bucks I guess).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.