online file: open/save option ?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a mac newby so bare with me.

On my PC when I open a file in Thunderbird or Firefox, the file just opens (or I may get a window to ask me if I want to open or save).

On my Mac (OSX10.5) whenever I open a file it always saves to my desktop!
This is really annoying as most of the stuff I open I don't want to save and my desktop is a mess.

I've tried setting these preferences in Firefox and Thunderbird but they just seem to be ignored. I'm wondering if there is a "higher - mac - power" at work here?

Can you help?

Reaction score
I've tried setting these preferences in Firefox and Thunderbird but they just seem to be ignored. I'm wondering if there is a "higher - mac - power" at work here?
Can you help?
Hi,
are you sure you checked the option "Ask me where to save files" for the download location in the preferences ?

Tex

OP
C
Reaction score
yup

yeah i just checked... in Thunderbird preferences, 'attachments' tab, 'ask me where to save every file' is checked.

i open an attachment, im asked if i want to open or save. i select OPEN. it opens, but saves it as well!! (to my desktop)

same happens on firefox.

i just want to open it, not open and save it. grrrr

Reaction score
Ah yes, I've just realized that I have the same problem. FF can choose when you "save" something but when you hot "open" it will use the download folder which I agree is annoying.

In windows, it was using the system temp folder which I found better.

I posted the same question somewehre but I can't find it anymore.

I found this : Firefox Open Attachments in Mac OS X
and this : Temporary folder for Firefox and Thunderbird on OS X « hskupin.info

and there is also a open bug for this with a looong discussion : https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=311292

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.