900mhz G3 vs Intel

M

msett

I just bought a new ibook, my first mac ever. I currently own a gateway P4 1.6 ghz laptop. I heard that a 900mhz G3 is not equal to pentium 900mhz, the G3 is faster. Is this true? What would my 900mhz mac be equal to?
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
msett said:
I just bought a new ibook, my first mac ever. I currently own a gateway P4 1.6 ghz laptop. I heard that a 900mhz G3 is not equal to pentium 900mhz, the G3 is faster. Is this true? What would my 900mhz mac be equal to?
Matt

There really is no standard conversion factor. The two machines vary in so many respects (both hardware and software) that a comparison is extremely difficult. But seeing as you just purchased an iBook, I think you'll soon discover that it's an extremely capable machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
we dont really bump in this forum and theres a reason that nobody has replied its because there really is no conversion rate between pentiums and g3-5 processors

OP
M

msett

Okie dokie. Is there even like a little estimate on what you could compare it to?
Just Wondering,
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I wish there was a conversion rate for this. Unfortunetly, there is not. If you want my $.02, I'd say it like this : A Mac is an experience. Sure the clock cycles matter, but in what regard? Are you going to play games alot? If so, then maybe a higher end Mac would be needed. Are you going to use Word, or surf the net most of the time? Then ANY Mac will do. There really is no comparison when it comes down to it.

The ultimate thing about Macs, that I feel is better than PC's, is the experience, and the stability. My Mac rarely crashes, and my work PC bluescreens on a daily basis. My Mac is absolutely gorgeous to look at, and my many PC's are very bland, and ugly. My Mac performs the way I need it to, to get the stuff that I need to get done, done.

So in conclusion, to me it is more of a "Personal" conversion rate than a clock cycle converstion rate. Of course the faster the machine you can afford, with as much RAM as you can get in it won't hurt either.

OP
L

LuniX

msett said:
Matt

Lets put it this way your G3 wont be much faster than a 900 Mhz doing simpel things, but once you get to power applications your performace will be much better than a PIII. If you want benchmarks (comparisons charts) go to www.barefeats.com

OP
N

Nightblade

LuniX said:
Lets put it this way your G3 wont be much faster than a 900 Mhz doing simpel things, but once you get to power applications your performace will be much better than a PIII. If you want benchmarks (comparisons charts) go to www.barefeats.com

Perhaps, perhaps, but definitely not a Pentium 4, which msett happens to have.

OP
L

LuniX

Nightblade said:
Perhaps, perhaps, but definitely not a Pentium 4, which msett happens to have.

Oh i didn't know that :), well a 900Mhz G3 vs a P4 at least 1.5 isn't fair though a Pentium in a laptop (witch i'n not shure is the one in question) uses a lot of Watts. Long Pipelines.

Still very nice iBook :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.