applications take long to open and my Mac freezes a lot

Reaction score
Ok i have had my macbook for two years. I loved it until it started to die on me. First, the battery died, I cannot use my laptop unless it is plugged in and it does not even charge anymore. Second, It is noticeably slower than it was a few months ago. Safari no longer opens, application take long to open and it freezes a lot. I know having it plugged in all the time makes it slower because when it unplugs and immediately dies.

Is there anything i can do? I want to clean it out and start it over all fresh, I know i might have to get a new battery but im considering just getting a new laptop.

Will reinstalling OSX solve anything? If i do how do i save my itunes, photos, and documents?

I also have world of warcraft which I do not want to lose.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

OP
G
Reaction score
Macbook isn't turning on...

Ok its me again, i posted a thread earlier about problems with my macbook, no one replied to it?

But anyways, it froze so i shut it down and restarted and it makes the turning on noise and gets to the white screen wit the small apple and the the circle thing that spins and it just keeps spinning, it doesnt go to the log in screen.

Any help?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Note: Threads merged.

Please be patient and give folks some time to reply before creating a new thread. If your question falls to the bottom, simply reply to it to bump it up to the top.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Invest in a new battery before anything else. If the battery is totally dead, your system probably is slower because your Mac will clock down the processor when there is no battery in it.

Even if you want to get a new machine, a working 2 yr old MB will go for a good $500 and up to $750 if you find the right buyer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz aluminum macbook
i advise you to buy a new battery at first, and if you still have the same problem then you should buy a new macbook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Ok its me again, i posted a thread earlier about problems with my macbook, no one replied to it?

Any help?
Please be patient.
This is a forum, not an instant messenger service, so you sometimes have to wait more than just a mere hour and a half to receive a reply to your inquiries.
You can check your thread and if more than 24 hours have passed with no response, then feel free to give your thread a bump at that time.

Please also check out the sticky threads. There are several out there to answer some common ailments and issues, so you wouldn't even need to post a thread in many cases.

Take a look at this sticky thread for some steps and suggestions that might help:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/93819-basic-os-x-mac-troubleshooting.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.