Running part of an itunes libary on internal HD and other part on external HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 1GB 667 MHz RAM, 2.16 Intel core duo 2, 120GB Hard Drive. Iphone 3G.
Hey guys,

I have a white macbook with a 120GB hard drive. It currently only has 7.6GB free. I have however an External Hard Drive which I use to back up with time machine.

Basically, I want to keep my current itunes libary on my internal, and then put another added part onto my external, by partitioning it? How would I get that to run in itunes?

Would this work, or would I need to move my whole itunes libary across to my external?

Thanks
Sam

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can split your iTunes library. I don't know if you can have two or more libraries. Hopefully someone else may have tried what you are trying to do.

OP
SamJ35
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thansk for your reply. I have partitioned my External Hard Drive and moved my libary across to it.

Thanks for the help though.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
baggss would be the one to answer this one for you. Am sure his library is spread across multiple hard drives.

Would think that you can keep your music where you want by going into Preferences - the Advanced tab - and uncheck the top two boxes - maybe only the 2nd one - "Copy files to the iTunes Music folder...."

I would advise, free up some more space on your system drive. Try to get it up to 15% free space minimum on that size drive. You're only asking for problems with less than 10% free.

OP
SamJ35
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, well moving all my iTunes Libary across to my external freed up quite a bit of space and I went from 7.6GB free to 27.48GB free.

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.