Two Macbook one pushes the other out of the internet connection

Reaction score
setup:
I have two Macbooks both connected wirlessly on two seperate airport extreams one for each. The airport extreams are both connected through ethernet cables to a Draytek Vigor 2800 modem/router.

To the router and airport extreames are other computers and one xbox 360 are connected through ethernet cables. They work fine sharing the connection at the same time.

The problem is I can't have both macbooks connected wirlessly at the same time one can surf while the other can't.

What could be the the problem? any help please would be great.
One lap top has a higher prioritey over the other.

diagnostics
Airport is constately scanning after awhile it says its on I move the mouse away and then back on and it says its scanning again this happens constantly, this is happening on both macbook at the same time as well as when one macbook is on.
They are both on the same network

software
TCP.IP ipv4: on both machines is DHCP
subnet and router are the same
ipv4 address is different
ipv6: is auto

DNS is the same

on network diagnostics
the stronger computer is fine
the internet works
and the server is green

on the weaker
the internet
and the server is red

i select the network
i select location as automatic
type passwork have keychain on
now it says is fine
try to surf failed

I am wondering if it is the router nat settings possibly

I retry says its fine failed to surf

Maybe they should be both on different networks

anyhelp would be great thanks:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Why do you need 2 airport extremes? Why not run both Macbooks off one Extreme, after all they can handle up to 50 computers wirelessly. i had an Express <for 11g > and an Extreme < for 5 GHz 11n > both connected by ethernet to a modem/router, it worked but not flawlessly, but when i connected the Express to the ethernet port of the Extreme it solved a minor issue.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I also ask the question, why 2 Airport Extremes? It really sounds like a DHCP issue to me but since I am not there I am taking a guess. It sounds like both machines are using the same IP address or something and thus fighting.

I have 5 Access points all over my house but they are on different channels. I only have had an issue once when the main router went nuts and started not to hand out different IP address's via DHCP. A restart cured that.

OP
O
Reaction score
thanks for you reply guys to know avail

I have two airport extremes. My gran no longer needs one airport extreme so I used it for extending my wireless range in our house as our walls are quite thick.:D

ipv4 address is different as said before so they can't be conflicting. Unless I am not reading the ip address correctly by looking in tcp ip in airport utility.
:Oops:

networking they can see each other on the network but can't connect? any ideas?

My router is 192.168.1.1. )
)--could they be playing around
One of the extreames is 192.168.1.10 ) dunno crazy idea

the other is 192.168.1.11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok you have a conflict as you say first that both extremes are connected to the router and then you say you want to use 2 extremes to extend your range. Change it so that one extreme is on ethernet from router and use the other as wireless extension of first one to get better range. Use one network name so both macBooks can run off it. Go to your manual for configuring one extreme to run wirelessly off the other or google this publication if you need help - Take Control
of Your 802.11n AirPort
Extreme Network
by Glenn Fleishman

OP
O
Reaction score
To no avail

I have made the other extreme an extension of the wirless netwrok.
The two macbooks still compete duno what else to try there ip s are different so I have run out of ideas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time for troubleshooting i reckon - heres how i would go; shut everything down and power up modem/router, then power up extreme connected to router.
Connect Macbook A wirelessly and surf doing usual stuff. If Ok then turn on airport MacBook B and do the same. Note make sure X Box and any other units on LAN etc is out of the system while checking things out. If that is OK then turn on 2nd Extreme and try the same sequence with Laptops. By the end of that you should have some idea of where the issue may be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the macbooks are still conflicting you could try going into Sys Pref/Network and selecting airport to Manual Using DHCP and give each MacBook its own address viz; 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.5 or whatever looks good and then run thru trouble shooting sequence again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In Leopard correct term for setting airport under TCP/IP heading is "Using DHCP with manual address" In tiger it may be a bit different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Final thought - make sure that both Router and Extreme are NOT handing out DHCP - it sometimes works but in multi unit LANS it is bound to cause problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.