Busted!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MBP w/4GB of Ram
To those of you experiencing the Nvidia Graphics Chip set issue with your MBP- a warning to heed...

So I dropped off my MBP at the local Apple Store the other day. I told the "Genius" that my machine was exhibiting behavior consistent with the faulty Nvidia chip set. They said they would run some diags and get back to to me.

I received a call a few minutes ago from the Apple store telling me that they came to the conclusion that my "display was bad" and that they would have to send it in to get it replaced at a cost of 310.00. WHAT???? I told the guy that I knew I had the Nvidia chipset and that this should be covered under the recall. He goes on to say that certain serial #s were covered and that mine was not one of them so....

After a few moments of silence, he broke down and said, "I can understand how you could think that your problem is similar to the Nvidia one so I'll cover the cost of the repair." Oh really? BS.

The only reason he did that is because he realized in that moment of silence that I wasn't some rich, man with $$$$ to burn that wouldn't blink twice at shelling out 300 bucks and that I may actually contest the findings (as I was planning to do).

Moral of the story, If you believe your MBP is exhibiting the Nvidia problem and you take it for an eval, don't let them tell you what they told me and accept it. Tell them you need the serial # (if you don't have it recorded) so you can call Apple Corporate and confirm that your serial # is indeed not on the recall list. If they say, "forget about it, I'll cover it", you know they were full of it and just wanted to make an easy 300 bucks off of you.

Just thought I'd share that. :cool:

Peace.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
But replacing the display wouldn't impact that issue at all. The problem is specific to the GPU, which is part of the logic board.

Also, it's not certain serial numbers, it's any MacBook Pro with an NVIDIA GPU. And the problem is not minor, there is actually no display (internal or external) when the GPU fries.

Something doesn't seem right with your case.

OP
Mac_Daddy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MBP w/4GB of Ram
CWA,

You're right, something DIDN'T seem right and that's why I'm warning others. Bottom line is that I KNEW the reference to changing the display was BS because my MBP is connected to an external monitor and that screen was black as well which lead me to believe it was the Nvidia issue.

As for the serial #, I knew that was BS as well but was going to ask for it and threaten to call "Corporate" at which point I knew that they (the Apple Store) would think twice because someone somewhere at Apple would realize the store was BSing me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.