Macs and PCs network issues?

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm a PC tech with no Mac experience :)
I have a client with 3 Mac's networked via a router.
They need one new machine and are thinking of getting a PC.
My impression is that the days where Macs and PCs don't work together are over??
What kind of issues might I have connecting a PC to these Macs and moving files around?
One thing to note - one Mac is relatively new, but the other two are ancient.
Thanks!
Amber

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
PC and Mac machines get along nicely on a network. Many folks who post here have a home network setup consisting of both Mac and PC hardware.

As far as file exchange goes, over a true network file format is transparent but if you're speaking of moving files using an external drive or USB thumb drive, there are some issues. However, file format compatibility can be overcome (both ways) by using third party drivers.

What I've replied is just an overview. You can do a search of this forum for more information regarding networking PC and Mac machines and the various issues concerning file format compatibility.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I had some issues with Macs and ISA firewalls when I used to run a Windows network - updates and any Mac specific protocols were liable to have trouble getting through. That was a few years ago, so maybe that's solved anyway.

I doubt that's an issue in the setup you're looking at though. As far as working together over a LAN, once you've got them all set up properly, you should be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.