MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
MacBook or MacBook Pro for audio recording?

Is it worth spending the extra cash to buy a MacBook Pro over a MacBook, is the performance noticable? I'll be working mainly in Protools.

Also it be best to go for the higher RAM option and would the 2.4GHz version be much better than the 2GHz?

Thanks for your help, I no nothing about macs at all but need to get one for uni!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
There is a very similar thread on the forum here somewhere, but I'll reiterate what I said in that thread.

First thing's first, if you have the money: go Pro.

That said the Macbook is powerful enough to handle Logic. The main functional difference between the Macbook and the Pro is the Firewire port. Many people like to have Firewire for their audio interfaces, but if you're using Pro Tools the M-Box 2 is USB anyway. So, if you don't plan on using Firewire equipment, then the Macbook would be a fine choice if you're looking to save some cash.

As far as 2.0 Ghz vs. 2.4 Ghz, again, if you have the money, more power is always better, though both are fine computers.

Reaction score
Re :

as much as i know about difference between the Macbook and the Pro.. is i have read that the Macbook is cheap and the Pro is little costly...

-----------------------
Online Discount Barnes and noble coupons.

" Everyone needs... to be needed."​

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm a complete mac newbie but need one for uni in september. I'll be using it mainly for recording music and typing documents, I was just wondering what macbook i should go for? I'm also confused by all the specifications you can order it with ie, 2Ghz or 2.4 and dont have a clue whether the performance difference is worth the extra cash! Any advice would be greatly received!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
Just get a 2.4 macbook.

Reaction score
Just get a 2.4 macbook.

Agreed, get the 2.4Ghz one. It has a backlit keyboard, more hard drive space and more processing power. Btw, the 2Ghz one doesn't have a backlit keyboard. Get it with 4GB RAM too. You'll be very pleased with it and it'll last a long time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OP
J
Reaction score
Would that lack of firewire on the Macbook be detrimental to its ability to record music??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Honestly, no, not if you're not opposed to recording directly to your hard drive and then moving project files to a different location via USB, and then back again when you want to work with them.

You can always put a 320gig hard drive in your laptop (I'll probably hold out for a 500 gig one in a year or so and just stick with the 160 that comes built into the low end model) if it bothers you to have to move files.

Reaction score
Would that lack of firewire on the Macbook be detrimental to its ability to record music??

Everyone seems to be complaining about Firewire. It really isn't that big a deal. USB 3.0 will be coming out in a year's time and will be as fast as, if not faster than, Firewire 800. It does suck that Apple dropped support for it on the Macbook for all those who have Firewire items. You'll be fine without Firewire though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
First of all, do not get the 4gb Ram. Major price mark-up from Apple. Just do it yourself. Sooo easy and waaayyy cheaper.
I have the macbook pro, but it is for video editing and I needed the better performance. If you only need it for basic use just get the macbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.