Should i download Skype

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
It looks quite good, does it work well? should i get it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
sure, Skype is ace!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I like Skype :)

And if you have a PocketPC (a recent one anyways) make sure you try out Skype for the PocketPC, it is just as sweet.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I would love to use Skype. But I have nobody want to talk to. That's why I don't bother with cell phones either. :( I like to type more than talk. With talking, you get that awkward dead silence that you don't know whether to say good-bye to a person or wait for them to say something. I hate, when that happens.

OP
solidstalin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
iWhat said:
I would love to use Skype. But I have nobody want to talk to. That's why I don't bother with cell phones either. :( I like to type more than talk. With talking, you get that awkward dead silence that you don't know whether to say good-bye to a person or wait for them to say something. I hate, when that happens.

Il talk to you :)

K

kingcrowing2

i'm down with iwhat! but what is skype??? is it like a voice chat thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
Skype is a free voice chat program, it's like free telephone calls but between computers. You can call to regular phones as well but you have to pay to do that.

I have it but nobody to talk to. :( It'd be good if I could get my family interested in it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I use Skype to talk to family and friends. Turn out to be significantly cheaper than phone calls.

OP
solidstalin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
Hmmmm... i really want to call phones but dont want to pay.....

L

Lasha

I have Skype and I've been using it for quite some time now. I speak to friends and family all over the world. Israel, Australia, etc. The sound quality is absolutely amazing! It really is as good, and sometimes even better than a telephone's quality, as the Skype website states. Get it. You'll like it.

Reaction score
i pay £2 a month and call uk landlines for free on Skype,
no more big phone bills,
iys excellent...!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Skype is really a great service. At home, I believe that I pay a total of $30 a year for unlimited local and long distance calling with a real telephone number and voicemail. This is a super deal considering the price of a normal land line ($25~ a month in my area).

Here in Iraq, it makes for a very cheap way to stay in touch with people at home as compared to AT&T calling cards which are far more expensive.

Reaction score
I use Skype to talk to family and old high school friends who I want to stay in touch with. It is awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Skype seems like a good deal, though I remember it not having the best quality for calls not too long ago. Hopefully this has changed ? My wife would like to talk to her family who lives in Hungary, so I downloaded it yesterday and plan on using it over the weekend to see what the deal is with video chat over such a long distance. If it proves to be good, perhaps we'll pay for the call service too.

The interface is nice and clean and seems easy to use. Do it. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
My girlfriend is in Germany for the summer, so Skype is how we talk everyday. Skype just released a new version, so anyone remembering poor chat quality should give it another try again. I find my girlfriend's computer (an XP-running laptop) picks up a weird humming sound after about a minute, so she has to wear headphones when we talk or else it gets pretty annoying. Definitely not a fault of Skype, but of her microphone, which seems overly sensitive of high ranges (I can hear birds chirping outside her window that she can't hear) and picks up on some sounds from her speakers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.