iBook G4 HDD dies, replacement doesn't show

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 933 Mhz
HI Guys,
My iBook G4 froze the other day. I booted up with the Apple Hardware Test CD which showed "error" when it tested "mass storage". And the Disk Utility on the original install CD did not show any HDD. After speaking with the tech guy at the local Mac reseller, he figured it was a dead HDD. So I bought a used replacement and followed the ifixit.com replacement instructions. All seemed to go well, but on powering up after changing the HDD, there was no noise from a whirring hard drive and again Disk Utility showed no HDD. Curiously the Apple Hardware Test CD now gives a "pass" to "mass storage" but it does so in less than a second which makes me suspect it is not really checking out the HDD. I was very careful in the replacement process and think I got everything right. Could it be that the logic board gets a "pass" from Apple Hardware Test CD and yet is not communicating or powering the HDD? Or any other suggestions ?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You purchased a used replacement hard drive? Why not a new one? The replacement drive may likewise be defective or you haven't hooked it up right. Go back over the installation and make sure you have everything correct.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 933 Mhz
Q: Why a used drive? A: I'm getting a new MacBook in two weeks so I'm just looking to keep this one going and be in decent shape to give to a friend.

I'll test the old HDD to be sure it was dead, as presumed.

Is it likely that the power source for the HDD could fail yet power reaches the rest of the computer?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not likely at all.

I like Chscag suggested, would go back over my work and see. Did a pin bend? Did you put on the plug one row of pins off? I have seen it all done as a PC Tech. Also that ribbon cable is very fragile. I hope it did not break. Check the other end and see if it came unplugged from the board.

Am not trying to say you do not know what you are doing BTW, just trying to help. Are you sure this used Hard Drive worked? Where did you purchase it?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 933 Mhz
I bought the replacement HDD from the local Apple Reseller who took it out when he upgraded someone. He tested it the day he sold it to me.

Okay, it is a pain to open these things up, but I'll review again. If the computer boots up from a CD, then when you say the plug might have been installed one pin off, this presumably means the plugs on either end of the flat ribbon cable that connects the HDD to the logic board, right? Are the strands in that ribbon cable something that can be tested with an ohm meter to see if they are conducting alright?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hear you on the PAIN part. Ibooks have maybe 60 screws to take out and you have to be so careful not to hurt the case!

Yes, the ribbon from the board to the hard drive. If you find nothing wrong and no bent pins, you might try an ohm meter to see if anything broke. Not sure if the cable uses single or stranded wire but a lot I have worked with were single thin conductor. When I put in a larger drive in my ibook, I did not really pay that much attention but wanted to just get it done and working.

Also even the laptop 2.5" drives have jumpers. Look to see if maybe there is a Jumper from the other computer. On my ibook the drive had no jumpers at all and worked great first time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.