Drive doesn't show up

Reaction score
I have a PowerMac G4, 1ghz. it was running 10.4.? and I wanted to try Leopard. This machine is used as a web server for Filemaker 6. I know Filemaker 6 isn't supported on Leopard, which is why I decided to do a fresh install on a different hard drive. I pulled the old drive, put a different one in and everything went fine. When I finished I attached the old drive as a USB drive to get stuff off.

After a while I found that I couldn't get Filemaker web stuff working and decided to return to the old drive. Disconnected the new one, reconnected the old one and it no longer boots. First it was a gray screen with a folder icon in the middle with a question mark in it, but now it's just a gray screen.

reconnected the Leopard one (these are on different IDE channels) and tried to find the drive with Drive Utility, and it's not found. I read about some other things to try (don't remember what they were called, but something flashing P-R, etc) and nothing worked.

My son came home last weekend and had some tools he tried (Disk Warrior and one other I can't remember) and both thought the drive needed formatting. Since this was a perfectly good working drive (and still seems to be in that it spins up and doesn't click or anything) I don't want to go that way if there are any other options.

Are there any other options?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop in the Leopard drive, making sure the master settings are correct. Boot from the Leopard DVD and run Verify Disk, and Repair Disk if necessary. Reboot. If still no joy zap the PRAM by booting and holding down the Command, Option P and R keys immediately after the chimes and keep held down for three lots of chimes.

Being a PowerPC, if you want the external drive to be bootable, it is necessary to connect by Firewire as USB will not generally boot a PPC model, even USB2. External drives need to be set up using Apple Partition Map, and formatting Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Keep us posted.

OP
T
Reaction score
Pop in the Leopard drive, making sure the master settings are correct. Boot from the Leopard DVD and run Verify Disk, and Repair Disk if necessary.
Thanks for the reply!!
It doesn't see the drive. If I put in back in as internal, it's simply not there. If it's external it sees the hardware, but there isn't a drive to click on -- thinks it's unformatted.
If still no joy zap the PRAM by booting and holding down the Command, Option P and R keys immediately after the chimes and keep held down for three lots of chimes.
Did that earlier... I forgot what it was called. Didn't make a difference.
Being a PowerPC, if you want the external drive to be bootable, it is necessary to connect by Firewire as USB will not generally boot a PPC model, even USB2.
I originally put it in as external only to get stuff off of it. What I really want is to put this drive back in the machine and go back to 10.4 (this was my old 10.4 boot drive] and forget Leopard....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.