macbook air users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone
could somebody please tell me if it is worth buying or should i get one of the other notebooks?
ive tried reading reviews but obviously apple says its the best thing since sliced bread and the other remports are from jealous windows users saying its rubbish
thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
could somebody please tell me if it is worth buying or should i get one of the other notebooks?
ive tried reading reviews but obviously apple says its the best thing since sliced bread and the other remports are from jealous windows users saying its rubbish
thanks

I think that if you do a search...you will find that this question has been asked many times.

For example...here's a thread that was started just a few days ago:

www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/148301-macbook-vs-air.html

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I like the Air overall for what it is. It's very light and thin for a 13" display notebook. My only issues with it are the lack of more than one USB port and I wish the RAM was upgradable. Otherwise it's a nice machine if you need very light weight but with a very clear and bright display and nice useable keyboard unlike so many of the other thin and light machines.

If weight and thinness is not a requirement though I would go with the Macbook as it gives you the same nice display and keyboard but with 2 USB ports, built in Optical Drive, Expandable RAM, Hard Drive and user replaceable battery.

Hope maybe some of my thoughts help you with your decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
My wife has had the Air for about a year now. She is not in any way a 'nerd' thus the 'lack' of a CD drive and only one USB are points of extreme indifference to her.

The machine is superb. I loaded such software as she needed using my MBP drive remotely - we also had a legacy USB DVD writer left over from Windows days.

The screen and keyboard are outstanding - I would prefer the Air keyboard to this one on the MBP. Battery life is good. She has the 80 Gb HDD and that has proved enough.

Considering the CPU speed is lower (not LOW, LOWER) than the other offerings from Apple, the machine speeds along nicely. Anyone who buys this for gaming is mentally challenged. But for business applications and on-the-road use it is outstanding.

Whilst to my very fibre, I wished to 'slag' this machine when it was announced, for all the reasons normally quoted, the Air has charmed me. It quietly just gets on with it and whilst expensive pro rata - it is a great machine.

Depending upon what you actually NEED, I have no problem giving it a big 'thumbs-up'.

If you just look at the styling alone, then it's a total no-brainer.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
I decided I need to get away from windoze and therefore buy a Mac with the super OX. I have always had a thing for small beautiful things that perform wonderfully. (I drove Lotus elan cars in my youth) So I bought the Air and I love it. It does everything well and is so light and slim it is years ahead of anything else in that respect. I just love the way the screen and keyboard adapts to the ambient light changes, although it still jolts me when it speaks to me. A computer purchase should be mostly a matter of buying the machine that does what you require it to do, if that is in your case a good performer that is light, portable, virus free and has the best touch pad ever, then as they say "There is something in the AIR"
Oh yes it is also so.......... sexy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.