Notebook protective casings/bags/sleeves thread

Reaction score
Hello I am new to the forums and new to apple products. I recently bought shiny new white Macbook well umm 4 months later its not so shiny ... in fact my clicker on my track pad is experiencing some discoloration. I wash my hands enough for this not to happen but it still does. It's not that bad but bad enough to be noticeable. What I am looking for is a cover or hardshell too protect the whole notebook. I seen "Marware Protection" but this is not what I am looking for. What I want is a leather shell/cover that, covers the case inside and out with a thin layer of film over the screen, keyboard and track pad. All the covers and shells I have seen so far either just cover the outside of the case and only seem to be made for the ibook.

The best thing I can compare what I am looking for is something similar to what you would see on a cell phone or ipod.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if you've had it for four months, call apple, they may be able to replace it. this is a known issue and your machine should still be within the 1 year basic warranty.

OP
D
Reaction score
if you've had it for four months, call apple, they may be able to replace it. this is a known issue and your machine should still be within the 1 year basic warranty.

I am aware of this, but I am not really sure if i want to do this, for one thing I use this computer for school and since I am away from home (at college) I have no other personal computer to use while its out for repair.

Its also not that bad, other people seem to of got it a lot worse than I have. Its basically just a light brown stain on the mouse and a little bit on the far edges.

I wouldn't mind it so much if I get a skin or shell of some kind to prevent further discoloration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
So get both. They will work together. And they have a MacBook one as well as MacBook Pro. I think they have just come out because the link I sent says MacBook 13 in. I was on a few weeks ago and they didnt have it on there. Maybe they dont have pics of the exact cover, just showing how they look in general. That keyboard skin is pretty sweet though. I wouldnt mind that on my black MacBook it shows oils from the skin or chip fingers kinda annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
If there's an Apple store near you, they can replace the keyboard for discolouration in about 10 minutes.

OP
D
Reaction score
So get both. They will work together. And they have a MacBook one as well as MacBook Pro. I think they have just come out because the link I sent says MacBook 13 in. I was on a few weeks ago and they didnt have it on there. Maybe they dont have pics of the exact cover, just showing how they look in general. That keyboard skin is pretty sweet though. I wouldnt mind that on my black MacBook it shows oils from the skin or chip fingers kinda annoying.

I sent them an email asking about it. The keyboard skins you can pick up on ebay for $15 they make them in White, black, Clear, and in a transparent pink and blue.

I didn't know that they could replace the cover at the store, I'll have to look into that but will this offer a permanent fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 768 MB RAM, iMac Bondi (Rev. A) 233 MHz G3, 288 MB RAM, Panther.
Have you tried cleaning it? It might just be dirt, but more likely than not, its discoloration. It's a known problem with the white MacBooks, and they should be able to replace the discolored parts in-store. If it is dirt, you can try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

Hope you fix your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
The Official "What case/cover/skin/bag should I get or do you recommend" Thread

http://www.speckproducts.com/13mac-seethru.html

Does anyone have one that is willing and kind enough to post a couple pics? I've been looking everywhere and can only find pics of the MBP in one, even on their site the lazy ********!

Just would like to see an actual MacBook in one before sending them my cash.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
...Surely someone has bought it....?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
im thinking bout the clear one for my pro.

let me know if u get it.

Reaction score
I bought the clear case for my black mac over the holidays and it suits my needs. I will say I question the scratch resistance as it does show scratches, some look major. It just depends on how the light catches them. The bright side I guess is that those scratches could have been translated directly to my comp without the case. I also found that having the case makes it comfortable to set the notebook on my lap. Warm but comfortable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Cheers for the replies. Does it add much to the size? I have a fairly tight fitting case but hopefully could still squeeze it in.

Like you say those scratches could have been on your Mac. I'm gonna put photos under the clear one, which should look cool.

Any chance of a pic 127082? I think you'll be the 1st person to put one on the entire internet...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3, 1gig ram, 80gig hd & iMac 800mhz, 1gig ram, 60gig hd
Don't have any photos at this time, but, I have a red one on my new MacBook, and love it. It really fits tight, and only adds 1/16- 3/32 to the overall dimensions. I didn't really like the looks of an all white computer, but the red really looks good.
It is made of polycarbonate, which is very durable (Lexan is one trade name), and the quality is good. Considering the variables in plastic molding, they have done a very good job.
I recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Thanks for the info bsdunek, think I'll just go for it and pick one up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Black
heres a link to a pic of a MBB with the red speck case- its small but gives you some idea... still would welcome personal pictures from other people!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.