Nas vs firewire drive

Reaction score
I've done some googling on this and concensus is that it depends on your network. Well I have comcast here in NJ and it sucks. My network connection is constantly dropping and my stupid NAS is always disconnecting. I didn't know the internet connection would effect the NAS.

I have a d-link dns 321 and I am not entirely sure why I wanted to get a NAS in the first place, I think because I may have been using my pc at that point next to my mac and wanted access to both devices but now my pc is dead so meh.

Would I be better off getting something like this? (*) Newer Technology Guardian MAXimus RAID... (GM8U2KIT0GB) at OWC

And connecting via firewire 800 to avoid the network problems? Would it be faster/better then the nas?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
your problem has to be in your router or computer. you dont even need internet to use a NAS.

but also i have tried many NAS units and ended up going back to an external HDD because even with gigabit NAS and router i found the external to be faster for read/write.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.