New Mac Pro for Studio?

Reaction score
I know this has probably been posted a few times but im new to the forum and I have searched before posting...

If possible I just want some advice please....?

I'm switching from PC to Mac Pro for my recording studio, i have previously been using Pro Tools and Cubase but im going to make the move to Mac Pro and Logic...

My question is..

Is....

One 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

going to be better than

Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

is the top quad core going to be as good as the base model 8 core?

I spoke to a Mac rep at an apple store which i admit wasn't that helpful however he said that it would just be overkill for audio work getting a 8-core..

Im not sure... is this true....?

Ideally i would like to save as much as possible towards a second 24inch Cinema display and an Apogee Ensemble interface but dont want to regret buying a mac pro thats not as fast as the one i could of bought with my money...... if that makes sense......

look forward to your reply.. thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You may also want to consider your present & future ram requirements:

- the 4-core 2.93 has a max ram limit of 8 gig
- the 8-core 2.26 has a 32 gig max ram limit

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks for the reply but im fully aware of the ram capabilities of both,

i cant see myself ever needing more than 8gb or ram for audio work but you never know about the future.. your right.... Ive heard that you can get 4gb ram sticks which will up its capability to 16gb is this right?

Anyway if anybody knows any information on the question i have asked it will be very much appreciated!

thanks again

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i cant see myself ever needing more than 8gb or ram for audio work but you never know about the future..

Ive heard that you can get 4gb ram sticks which will up its capability to 16gb is this right?

Can you see yourself really needing more than 4 cores...let alone 8 cores?...who knows...same logic for the max ram.

Apple has sold computers in the past that were capable of addressing more ram than they (Apple) officially recommended...but so far I have not heard of it being possible to install more than 8 meg of ram in the quad-core 2.93 Mac Pro.

- Nick

Reaction score
According to Apple, it's not possible to install more than 8GB of Ram in the 4 Core Mac Pro. OWC (macsales.com) though sells 12GB (3 x 4GB sticks) and 16GB (4 x 4GB sticks) configurations. They are not officially supported, but from what I've heard, work perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.