The ULTIMATE Free software Thread

Reaction score
I thought this may be a nice idea, i did a search and couldnt find anything.

Basically post what free software you use instead of pay/apple standard software.

Firefox - Web Browser - Excellent browser, faster than safari, customisable = big plus.

Adium - IM Client - infinitely less buggy than msn for mac, also customisable

Thunderbird - Email Client - Prefer the look of it over Mail. Also can be customised. Tried it out due to Mozillas excellent work with firefox

I guess i only really use the main three big ones when it comes down to it, although im sure theres a few out there that use more. I am also waiting for Open Office 3 to be released for mac, and i shall be getting that too.

Reaction score
I am also waiting for Open Office 3 to be released for mac, and i shall be getting that too.
OpenOffice 3 for Mac has been out awhile now. If you mean PowerPC, they haven't posted a build on the site, but you can get some here: Index of /pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX

Also, let's use hyperlinks, so people can get to the software faster. Here are some of my picks:

Bean - Word processor and text editor

Burn - Disc authoring software that STILL runs on Mac OS X v10.3 (Panther)!

MPlayer and VLC - Movie players that support many formats

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.