Can't See Airport Extreme Base Station

D

dmbj

I'm really stumped with this one and hope someone will be able to help. Just so you know I have a G4 PowerBook and a G4 PowerMac. Both run OS 10 ver 1.3.8, and the tower has been wired to the Airport Extreme (firmware ver 5.4) through the Ethernet LAN port. Both computers have successfully shared a connection to the internet through SBC DSL for 2 years. I have two issues, one of which doesn't really belong in this forum, but may be related to the fact that the Power Mac can no longer see the network.

This all started when I purchased an Epson Photo R200 printer to replace a 5 year old unresponsive Epson Stylus 1280. I first went through the steps of installing on the PowerBook first. I had no problems seeing the printer and was able to attach to network to send a test print. I subsequently installed the driver on the tower. Although the R200 printer could be seen, the Print Center indicated "No driver installed." I went through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. This is when all **** broke loose. I got a message to upgrade the firmware on the Airport Extreme to 5.5, which I foolishly did. This subsequently wiped out all my settings, and I struggled to get reconnected to the internet despite recreating the network. Calls to SBC were useless since they do not support the Airport Extreme. I eventually called Apple and spent nearly 3 hours on the phone with them when they decided the base station had failed. They sent me a replacement and I went through the process again. I was able to attach to the network and get out to the internet from the laptop with no problem; however, I still cannot see the network from the PowerMac. I've verified the settings on the base station, and confirmed that it’s an open network. BTW the base station and PowerMac are in the same location as before and are only about 1' from each other. Apple also ruled out interference from a 2.4GHz phone that is about 12 feet away. Besides I've had the same setup for 2 years.

The only way I can get the PowerMac connected to the internet is through a direct connection. I've changed out the Ethernet cable between the base station and the tower with no success; even the old cable provided access when connected directly to the modem. I've changed network settings back and forth between Built-In Ethernet and Airport, but cannot get the tower to see the base station. I know I have root permission as I was able to delete the Epson printer folder out of the library per Epson's recommendation -- I still cannot get the PowerMac to recognize the printer driver.

Switching the cables around to give internet connection defeats the purpose of having the network. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
when its connected, try opening netinfomanager and see what connections are being made and what ports theyre on, are any ports blocked on your mac, is the firewall on?

OP
D

dmbj

Thanks... I'll check the ports. We are currently using Norton Internet Security. I thought I had it configured to block incoming traffic not outgoing.

Macman said:
when its connected, try opening netinfomanager and see what connections are being made and what ports theyre on, are any ports blocked on your mac, is the firewall on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, thats bad, its probably the norton thing, norton =death in the form of os corruption and other bad stuff on mac. please dont use norton products. its unnecessary, os x has a built in firewall thats more than youll ever need.

OP
D

dmbj

Ok, so you recommend going strictly with OS X firewall, but what about anti virus? This is my husband's computer and he has a ton of bonehead friends that have sent viruses in the past and SBC hasn't always done a good job keeping those out.

Macman said:
ok, thats bad, its probably the norton thing, norton =death in the form of os corruption and other bad stuff on mac. please dont use norton products. its unnecessary, os x has a built in firewall thats more than youll ever need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Viruses can't harm your Mac - there are no known written ones for OSX - nor is there spyware. Your Mac can become a typhoid mary though and send them to other PCs. Since you're only networking Macs, I think you'll be fine ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
exactly. NO= 0 viruses, spyware, adware, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.