computers will "see" wireless network, but will not access internet...says "no ip add

Reaction score
I'm visiting family for a few days.

Want to use a Macbook Pro and MacBook, both latest Leopard, on a wireless Linksys G Broadband (cable) system.

Both computers will "see" wireless network, but will not access internet...says "no ip address".

I've read enough to know this is a common problem.

Is there a simple solution that does not require changing settings, etc. The system works fine for family, so I don't want to mess with it.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Changing the settings on what specifically? the wireless router, or on the Macs?

You might need to try to get the mac to renew/re-aquire a DHCP address (like if it failed for whatever reason to properly communicate with the routers DHCP server - also assuming it has one turned on). You can see how to do a renew on IP's here:

macosxhints.com - Renewing a DHCP lease

Or, if you can change the config on the Mac, you can find out from your friends what their IP's are and choose one in the range they are using (but different from the IPs of the other comps on the network (usually best to set itout of the DHCP range, like if the comps have an ip that ends in 100,101, 102, etc. then chances are the dhcp is set to assign from 100-150 or something like that, so you'd want to pick an address say between 50 and 100)) and manually assign it via your network settings.

Obviously if you can get your Mac to just take a lease from the DHCP server, your life would be much easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.