What can I do with iMac 20 inch 2.4 ghz internals?

Reaction score
So while traveling with my iMAC 20 inch 2.4 ghz (late 2008 aluminum model intel core 2 duo)

I got in a car accident and the LCD and screen totally busted so I trashed it

After doing a hardware check... all the LEDs show that everything is in working order except for the obvious missing LCD.

So my questions are:

1. Can I possibly put these internals into a 24 inch aluminum shell?

2. Can I put this in the G5 older 24 or 20 inch shells (the ones that are all white rather than aluminum colored)?

3. Or Anyone know a cheap way I can just replace the LCD and screen? (around $200?)

Thanks for your help! sucks my iMAC had to have this fate.

Reaction score
Perhaps letting another LCD screen fitted may not even be that expensive. It may be though. But worth checking out. Your model didn't have a displayport did it? Otherwise you could sort of make it into a very low profile desktop system, much like a squashed out MacMini

OP
C
Reaction score
Perhaps letting another LCD screen fitted may not even be that expensive. It may be though. But worth checking out. Your model didn't have a displayport did it? Otherwise you could sort of make it into a very low profile desktop system, much like a squashed out MacMini

I heard it was quite hard to hack another LCD screen into it.. tho I should look more into that.

the imac does have a mini DVI port... so I could look into that?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
the imac does have a mini DVI port... so I could look into that?

Your iMac supports an external display...that's the way to go.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Your iMac supports an external display...that's the way to go.

- Nick

True, thanks

If I do.. do that, I will have to cover the exposed internals some how.

But I still am going to look into getting a replacement LCD some how cheap off ebay.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
True, thanks

If I do.. do that, I will have to cover the exposed internals some how.

But I still am going to look into getting a replacement LCD some how cheap off ebay.

I'm guessing that a replacement LCD on e-Bay may be a fairly expensive proposition. I know that replacement LCD's for laptop's can cost $300 and up for a 14-15" LCD...so a 20" LCD would have to be more expensive.

Then factor in if the Apple iMac 20" LCD is special in some way...and that will add $$$.

If you get lucky...and someone is selling a "trashed" iMac with a good LCD...you may be able to get the LCD cheaper...but then you will also be bidding against other folks in the same "boat" as you...and so getting the LCD "cheap" may be tough.

Where I'm going is...if replacing the LCD starts to get much higher than $300...it may not be worth it...since then you may be getting close to half the value of a 100% operating 20" iMac 2.4ghz.

So that leaves you with the "external display option. $20 bucks for the mini-DVI to DVI adapter, and $150-$200 for an LCD display (if you don't already own one).

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. A creative way to cover the iMac's internal's could be to purchase a piece "plexi-glass"...and do a really good job cutting, shaping, and trimming it to fit the iMac housing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.