Itunes hangs my whole system when importing...

Reaction score
So I recently did an archive and install of Leopard on my Mac Pro(due to issues with hanging), and have run into a problem rebuilding my itunes Library. When I add songs to itunes it starts adding them but then hangs my whole system after anywhere from a couple dozen to several hundred songs have been added. I've tried adding individual mp3's and folders, but even they hang up from time to time. I can't Force Quit or do anything aside from move the beach ball around. I then have to hold in my power button and restart... I've tried a clean install of itunes, and have been able to pinpoint a few files that seem to provoke it into hanging. I assume this means that some of my mp3's a corrupted or something of this nature, but other times it will hang on a file and then import it fine after a restart...

So if anyone has some suggestions on how to resolve this, or knows of some software that might be able to check my mp3's before I import them to itunes, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks for your time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac loaded, 160 classic
try to restore your ipod, wipe it clean and reformat.

first use senuti (sp?) to get everything from ipod > mac

OP
T
Reaction score
try to restore your ipod, wipe it clean and reformat.

first use senuti (sp?) to get everything from ipod > mac

I did indeed have an ipod that was associated with my old library. Unfortunately after restoring it, I still get frequent lock-ups when adding music to itunes. I've had to hard boot my machine a dozen or so times in the last 8 hours, and I'm getting pretty close to throwing this 8-core paperweight out the window...

Thanks for the advice nonetheless. Any other ideas?

OP
T
Reaction score
I've also noticed that it seems far more prone to hanging when the little dialogue box with the progress bar that says "processing:..." pops up as opposed to when it does the reporting in the "lcd" at the top of the itunes GUI...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.