Using an iso

Reaction score
Ok, I'm thinking about eventually maybe becoming a switcher and I'm very new to Macs. I'm used to PCs and can handle them pretty well but I'm not a pro in any way.
So, Diablo 3 is coming soon and I thought I would play Diablo 1 and 2 some. Unfortunately the discs were pretty scratched. D2 I could solve since Blizzard provides a download option if you register your CD-key. But I can't do that with D1 (yet)
So I got my hands on a a iso file. I've tried mounting it both with our without extra programs. I've tried burning the iso but nothing works!
One of my go-to guys regarding Macs told me that the reason is probably that the iso is is "ripped" and there is only exe-type set-ups on it.
I've searched the web, got to the end of the internet but found nothing that could help.
Anything I could do or is this something Macs just can't do? (yet)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OS X handles ISO files like any other disc image. Double-click on it and it mounts, just like inserting a disc in the drive. If it doesn't mount, the image is likely just corrupted. Since you "got your hands" on this file, assuming from a less than reputable source, how can you be sure that the file is a good one?

OP
M
Reaction score
Related question on that. I don't want to have dual boot on this computer but would it be possible to use an emulator program to emulate windows and play it there or would that take too much "power"? D1 is a very old game though and doesn't require much of anything.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Related question on that. I don't want to have dual boot on this computer but would it be possible to use an emulator program to emulate windows and play it there or would that take too much "power"? D1 is a very old game though and doesn't require much of anything.

Yes, you can run Windows in a virtual machine (like Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion) and play older games like Diablo without having to reboot the machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.