Late October 2008 Model, 3 loud beeps, front LED Flashing.

Reaction score
So I am assuming after what I read this is a memory problem yes. I bought third party memory, had to reclock it because it was the wrong type, and it was fine for a few months but now this is happening.

However, I am still every once in a while able to get onto my computer through a startup when the battery is out and I POWER ON, POWER OFF (hold power button for 10 seconds), QUICKLY POWER ON... This works once in a few tries.

Can anyone explain why? I have readministered my current RAM to see if the placement went bad but it didn't seem to do anything as far as just simply working.

Do I just have to get a new set of RAM chips? Is it most likely the RAM chips and (please to God) not the hardware in the laptop?

Anyone with this experience, please shed any light upon me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Bad memory can be a wild goose chase, and the problems can be inconsistent in the way they manifest themselves.

If it's cheap, no-name memory, just remove it and buy it from a reputable supplier (I like Crucial.com or otherworldcomputing.com). It's not worth your time and trouble to continue to fool around with it.

OP
N
Reaction score
It beeps two times right after start up, then after that every time it beeps 3 times.

Does anyone know what they indicate-- is it most likely just the memory itself and nothing hardware wise in the laptop itself?

I read somewhere (no sourcing) that said something about 3 beeps meaning the memory banks inside that hold it were bad-- but it seemed to be unsupported and possibly inaccurate-- I figure I'd ask someone here.

The memory was OCZ memory.

Can anyone here show me a good reference on Newegg of memory for my MBP (2x 2gig sticks) because I want to make sure I get it right this time. Any help would be highly appreciated.

OP
N
Reaction score
2 beeps = incompatible RAM types
3 beeps = no good banks

Appreciate it..

So it beeps twice, meaning the RAM type is bad... however it's worked for a few months.

Also... What does "No good banks" mean?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 beeps = incompatible RAM types
3 beeps = no good banks

Appreciate it..

So it beeps twice, meaning the RAM type is bad... however it's worked for a few months.

Also... What does "No good banks" mean?

I believe under normal circumstances if there was a single bad slot, it would switch it off, but since both modules are bad, it can't use either.

Again, crappy memory can breed all kinds of weird behavior. I've seen it work fine for years and one day just start acting goofy. Always buy good quality memory from a reputable vendor that will stand by it. I've learned this lesson too well from the early days of building PCs.

OP
N
Reaction score
So you are saying it is most likely not the hardware in the laptop?

The laptop is less than a year old and I pride on taking care of my electronics.

If you were to take a GUESS would you round to say that it is most likely just the memory? Here is the thing with the memory, I purchased 800mhz (thanks to my trusty friend who said this will be fine) but the computer is meant for 667mhz. I clocked it down so it would run, it ran fine for a month and is now acting up.

Doing that cannot ruin a computer right?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you are saying it is most likely not the hardware in the laptop?

The laptop is less than a year old and I pride on taking care of my electronics.

If you were to take a GUESS would you round to say that it is most likely just the memory? Here is the thing with the memory, I purchased 800mhz (thanks to my trusty friend who said this will be fine) but the computer is meant for 667mhz. I clocked it down so it would run, it ran fine for a month and is now acting up.

Doing that cannot ruin a computer right?

How did you "clock down" the memory? Macs tend to be very picky about memory, chances are if you get the right kind, it will be just fine.

OP
N
Reaction score
Clocked down may be the wrong term but seems to be the best to describe it.

My uncle who has a lot of experience with computers showed me how to do a trick with memory if it is running at too many Mhz's.

There is a program for Windows in which once you install the memory, you can slow down the memory's speed in order to be compatible with other computers that can only run a max of a certain speed.

That is what we did, because my MBP is meant to use 667 but mistakenly I got 800 memory. We did just as I explained above and it then worked fine, I forgot the name of the program but it is Freeware.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Clocked down may be the wrong term but seems to be the best to describe it.

My uncle who has a lot of experience with computers showed me how to do a trick with memory if it is running at too many Mhz's.

There is a program for Windows in which once you install the memory, you can slow down the memory's speed in order to be compatible with other computers that can only run a max of a certain speed.

That is what we did, because my MBP is meant to use 667 but mistakenly I got 800 memory. We did just as I explained above and it then worked fine, I forgot the name of the program but it is Freeware.

OK, most memory modules don't have any kind of configurable firmware where you can change the speed. Perhaps the program you're referring to makes changes to the BIOS in a PC. Either way, in many cases, one can use a module clocked for a higher speed with certain motherboards that run at a lower speed. In the case of Apple hardware, which has very specific requirements, you can not.

My recommendation to you would be to reinstall your original memory and test, or order the correct modules from a company like Crucial or OWC and go from there.

Chances are using the incorrect modules did no permanent damage, or caused problems with the PRAM, which can be reset once the correct modules are installed.

OP
N
Reaction score
reduced the memory's internal "SPD" numbers so that it registered as a slower piece was what we did

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I stand corrected. I did not know they were mounting EEPROMs to memory modules these days. Wow.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well I just got my memory and shoved it in and now the computer started up first try with no problems.

I had pc 6400 type and needed 5300, so yeah, my fault.

Thanks the for the support, appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.