Wrapping an external hd in plastic wrap

Reaction score
I know this is really dumb but i want to protect the finish of my wd passport (black and shiney) until I can get a protective cover from some where, would wrapping it in plastic wrap screw with the head distribution at all or is it essentially the same thing as the plastic static that would eventaully surround it?

Also anyone have any resources for plastic that would work to cover it that I can buy in maybe bulk and cut myself? I know zagg sells a wrap around but its 21 bucks for this crap.

No flames please, legit question.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It won't hurt it, just don't cover any vent holes. The actual drive mechanism is completely encased within the enclosure anyway. You just don't want to block any vents that allow for airflow around the mechanism.

OP
Q
Reaction score
ah good ok, its not covering any vents, doesn't look like there are any vents on this thing anyway its a small 2.5'' drive

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.