Comparing iMac to....

Reaction score
Hey,

I currently own a 2006 2.0ghz macbook, 2 gb ram. I am looking to get something which can run a little more extensive programs, and without GMA 950 graphics card. :)

I was at first looking at selling this, and buying a 15 inch macbook pro - 2.4ghz version.

Then I realized the insane cost, and thought about keeping the current macbook and simply buying the basic iMac.

Everything in the iMac seems comparable to the upper end macbook pro's, except that the graphics card is not the GT version. Is this a problem?

The only thing I plan to upgrade is the ram to 4gb.

I guess my question is that will the iMac have a problem running things like spore? Or other things such as games?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Nobody care to answer? Cool.

This is a forum, not an instant messaging session. Sometimes it takes a bit to get a response. You waited less than 20 minutes.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey,

I currently own a 2006 2.0ghz macbook, 2 gb ram. I am looking to get something which can run a little more extensive programs, and without GMA 950 graphics card. :)

I was at first looking at selling this, and buying a 15 inch macbook pro - 2.4ghz version.

Then I realized the insane cost, and thought about keeping the current macbook and simply buying the basic iMac.

Everything in the iMac seems comparable to the upper end macbook pro's, except that the graphics card is not the GT version. Is this a problem?

The only thing I plan to upgrade is the ram to 4gb.

I guess my question is that will the iMac have a problem running things like spore? Or other things such as games?

Spore is not particularly intensive. Both the 9400m chip in the MacBooks and the 9600m are pretty decent GPUs. Why don't you go with a midrange Aluminum MacBook?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.