Audio connection between MBP and Vizio HDTV

Reaction score
I have a new 32" HDTV - a Vizio VO32LF. I have been able to successfully connect my MacBook Pro (circa 2007) via VGA "PC" input on the Vizio, but I'm having trouble with the audio connection.

When I plug a normal, 1/8" minijack into the headphone out on the MBP and connect it to the 1/8" PC audio input on the TV, I get some nasty static. When I plug an older Powerbook into the same input, I don't get static.

What I am assuming is that the combined analog/digital audio out on the MBP is interfering somehow with the sound input on the TV. But I can't figure out how to get audio from the MBP into the TV any other way.

If I get a TOSLink cable with minijack adapter for the output from the computer, that won't work, since the input on the TV is minijack, analog input.

I don't have any TOSLink digital audio in on the TV. I do have RCA audio in, but that's associated with the Component Video in. I'm fairly sure that if the computer is using RGB as the input, it is also only using input from the minijack - I can't specify video from the RGB and audio from the RCA.

Any help here? This is frustrating, as I can get beautiful video from the MBP.

jta

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am assuming you have plugged headphones into the MBP audio port and the sound is OK.

I'd either try another audio cable, or if there is another port on the TV that uses the same type of audio connection, try that, just to see if you get audio or not. (You're trying to narrow the problem down to either the cable or the port.)

OP
J
Reaction score
Audio Connection...

I've tried two different minijack cables - both have the same problem. I also hooked up an old Powerbook using one of these cables, and didn't get any buzzing. So, I'm still thinking it has something to do with the combined analog/digital audio out port on the Mac.

There isn't another input for a minijack audio on the TV, so I can't try that.

I suppose one solution would be to get a DVI-HDMI converter and use RCA cables for the audio?

Reaction score
Fixed with groundlift

A ground lift on the end of my computer power cable fixed it for me. It seems that many times computer power supplies create a ground loop buzz when connected to other sound systems. It loops between the ground on the audio system and the ground on the computer. This is especially a problem with laptop computers.

Here is a image of a ground lift. You can find one at your local hardware store. Be sure to break off the ground tab so that it will not make contact with the screw on the outlet cover.

groundlift.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I can second the ground lift problem. Happens to me when I'm recording and my MBP is charging up to 80%.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.