DVD drive capable of reading Dual Layer DVDs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 " MacBook Pro 2.66GHz 4GB 320GB HDD; 15" PowerBook G4 1.25GHz 2GB 80GB HDD
Hello there,

I have a PowerBook G4 Aluminium 15" 1.25 GHZ. Could some body tell me how to know if my drive supports Dual Layer DVDs, please? And if it doesn't, does that mean I won't be able to install OS X Leopard?

Also, I read in the specs given that it supports DVD-R but not DVD+R, but I'm having trouble getting the drive to recognize DVD-RW disks. Any idea why this is?

Any help will be very much appreciated! :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't believe it supports writing DL discs, but it can read them (as can any DVD-ROM drive). So you shouldn't have any trouble installing Leopard.

I'm not sure on your second question, with the age of the drive, it's entirely possible that it's ready for a replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The machine will read the DVD no problem and your difficulty could be if you wished to make a copy of the Leopard disc for day to day use. Then you would need a DL burner. To find out if you have a DL burner, or indeed any other reading/writing information, go to 'About this Mac'>'More Info'>'Disc Burning'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Have a look at my thread about my DVD drive "making coasters". Considering the age of the drive, it is quite possible the laser lens is dirty.

I cleaned it with compressed air and a cleaner (not recommended by Apple but you're well out of warranty anyway) disk and now it's as good as new.

OP
jhonrox
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 " MacBook Pro 2.66GHz 4GB 320GB HDD; 15" PowerBook G4 1.25GHz 2GB 80GB HDD
Thank you cwa107 & harryb2448 for your replies. Thanks to brianwmay as well for the information on the 'DVD drive making coasters' thread, I'll look in to that ...)

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.