Severe problem - CD Stuck in PowerBook. Need help Urgently

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Hello

OK I'm in serious trouble. I have a DVD stuck in my Superdrive. The system doesn't see the disc, but the disc is constantly spinning in the drive and I can hear it. Its an unpleasant noise. High Pitched. Periodically, the PowerBook tries to eject the disc but it barely manages to eject. If even a tiny bit of it comes out, it would be okay coz I could pull it out, but it just stays in. I am really worried coz I have loads of work to do over this weekend on my PowerBook and I can't work with the DVD inside. Its too distracting (the noise from the Superdrive).
I tried restarting the PowerBook with the trackpad button depressed, also tried doing the same with the F12 button, also tried the same with command+cntrl+p+r (PRAM reset) but nothing works.
I don't want to send my laptop to Apple coz I don't have the AppleCare plan. I don't mind opening up the computer if that would help. Please if you could point me somewhere, I'd be grateful.

P

Papadelta

There was a little hole on the left side of the drive slot in my old powerbook that if you inseted a small pin (about 2 or 3 inches) it would manually eject the disk. Look to see if yours has that or not. I'm sure you don't have to send it in. Somebody here will know how to help you.

Good luck.

OP
Strider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately the newer powerbooks (including mine) don't have that hole for a manual eject. I so badly wish there was one though.

OP
Strider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hello again everyone. i'm happy to say that i have managed to sort out the problem.

the last couple of hours have been one of the most difficult over the past few months coz of the uncertainty about whether my laptop will work or not. i have managed to eject the disc now so its all good :)

and for the records, i will also write about how i did this so that it can be useful for other members who might have a similar problem in the future.

as i mentioned, the cd was spinning and periodically tried to eject but never came out. what i did was -

i folded an a4 size paper twice and slid a tiny bit of it into the superdrive gently. this made the cd to stop spinning. now, when the cd doesnt spin, the drive automatically tries to eject it forcefully. As soon you think the cd is about to eject, withdraw the paper, and slip a single sheet of paper, pretty much in to the cd slot. withdraw this paper. if you do it gently and with good timing, the cd/dvd will come out. It'll take time and will need a couple to tries to get it right, but it does work. im happy it did for me, hopefully it will for you if ur stuck too.

:mac:

I

IChing

Haven't had that happen to me but a good tip strider. Have you seen any problems? Has anyone use a disc with a cleaner brush on a drive? Hate to get that stuck.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I was going to suggest using a business card. But glad you were able to get the CD out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
how in the heck did you think of doing that???

amazing idea though...A+ for the day!

OP
Strider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IChing said:
Haven't had that happen to me but a good tip strider. Have you seen any problems? Has anyone use a disc with a cleaner brush on a drive? Hate to get that stuck.
No problems, been watch a movie on DVD today and the Superdrive is working fine :p
Warning: Never use a disc with the cleaner brush in a Superdrive. Apple says on its website that if u do that, the disc will get stuck inside.

rman said:
I was going to suggest using a business card. But glad you were able to get the CD out.
I'm sure a card can be used too. Novel idea. Cheers!

coach_z said:
how in the heck did you think of doing that???

amazing idea though...A+ for the day!
i know i regret it too. but I'm glad it over. :bomb:

M

MichaelSullivan

thats step one. What caused this to happen? Will you trust DVDs/ CDs in the future? You'll probably have to have your drive looked at in the future...

just read your response. disregard.

M

menace3054

incase this happens to anyone else, the easiest way to get a cd out is to eject while the system is rebooting. ive put cds in before where it just wont spit it back out, unless the system is restarting. it happens most often with scratched cds or dvds

P

Papadelta

Glad that's over, but what is a cleanerbrush? Never heard of it.

I get a mental picture of a little man inside my G4 with a broom sweeeping away the dust on my CD.

No seriously what is it?

Peter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.