Ibook G4 wireless configuration question

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to configure this laptop to a home network which consists of a G5 and this laptop using a netgear router. As of right now I am already using the router and the G5 has great internet connection. I just upgraded this laptop to 10.4 and I thought that it has a built in wireless device, but when checking in the hardware configuration, I see "no information". So now I am not sure... is it built in but needs to be configured? Or do I need to purchase something extra.

Here are the details on the laptop:

The iBook G4/800 12-Inch (Original - Opaque White), 800 MHz PowerPC 7457 (G4) processor with a 256k "on chip" level 2 cache, 256 MB of RAM (PC2100 DDR SDRAM), 30.0 GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive, a slot-loading DVD-ROM/CD-RW "Combo" drive, 4X AGP ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics with 32 MB of DDR SDRAM.

Your help would greatly appreciated and enjoy your day,

Steven

Reaction score
Mac OS X has drivers built in for all Apple hardware, so "no information" means that you don't have a wireless card, unless you have some weird 3rd party device that requires the drivers to be installed manually.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. THe laptop still original configuration from Apple. Is it easy to instal a "wireless" card? Which one would you guys recommend?

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Macbook 2.2ghz, eMac G4 1.07ghz, PowerMac G4 Digital Audio.
You could buy an Apple Airport card. On the ibook, its fairly easy to install - it is underneath the keyboard. See here for instructions from apple: iBook: Installing or Replacing the AirPort Card

The only hitch is that you'll probably have to go to a third party to buy an airport card - and it will probably be a used card, as I don't think apple makes them any more. Another route that I've seen other ibook users do is get a third party USB wireless adapter. These look like the USB thumbdrive, but are actually wireless network adapter. Make sure you look for a Mac/OSX compatible one if you go this route.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.