Data recovery

Reaction score
I now the subject of data recovery on macbooks has been been hammered to the point of insanity, however, I think my conditions warrant an other than obvious response. Here's the deal:

I am here in Iraq as a contractor.(same job as I had in the Corps... just more money) I was watching a movie on my Macbook(tiger) The screen froze on me. I went to start it up and it stalled at the spinning pinwheel.(no infamous clicking) I called Apple and they walked me through a whole buncha steps and determined that, Yes I was screwed, Yes the disk is mounted, and my warranty is No longer valid. I used this as an excuse to upgrade to a Macbook pro, thinking I could just do a data extraction between the pro and the book using the firewire. that's a no go as I found out. (friggin 9 pin pro!) I have allot of data on my Book that I need. What can I do?

Oh and Yes.. I am an idiot for not bringing my OS disks or backing up my files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What mac book is that.

If target disk mode is a no go, then you will have to pull the disk out and put it inside an external enclosure

OP
M
Reaction score
It running osx 10.4 Tiger. I don't currently have any access to an external. Should I just wait to get home to do the recovery? All my music and all my family photos are in there. Plus some "other" family stuff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Target disk mode is activated using the T key, if the screen manages to show a firewire icon then you are good to go

OP
M
Reaction score
Is it regular practice to delete someone's post when they ask for help?

I just posted a thread stating that I was in Iraq and my macbook HD is mounted but doesn't boot. I got one response... but now it seems someone deleted the thread... ***?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No it isn't usual, maybe a glitch in the system, but there has been a spate of thread hijacking on here with spammers posting in to legit threads

Did target disk mode work by the way

OP
M
Reaction score
yes,it recognized the HD, but still wouldn't boot. I was able to boot it through an old backup I did in Aug... and recover some music from the backup. I guess I will have to drop the money when I get home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I just posted a thread stating that I was in Iraq and my macbook HD is mounted but doesn't boot. I got one response... but now it seems someone deleted the thread... ***?
Nobody deleted your thread.
However, it was moved to a more appropriate forum.
Your issue dealt with a software (data retrieval) issue, not a hardware issue.

This thread is now being merged with your original

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.