Issue with External USB Hub on iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 07, MacBook 08, iPhone 3G 16GB
Please help. I have recently purchased an external USB Hub and when I have it connected to my iMac and the iMac goes to sleep, when I move the mouse or hit a key to wake it up, the white light stops flashing, but the screen never comes on. I then have to hold the power button to turn it off and then turn it back on. Anyone know how I can prevent this from happening so that I can use the hub? I've had to unplug it because I was afraid it would damage my iMac by turning it off and on all the time without actually shutting it down first. Thanks!

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Come on people! Please help! This is going to drive me nuts!

Reaction score
How about some more info on what is plugged into the USB hub? I have a new Imac and Mac Mini and both have multiple USB hubs connected and I don't have any problems like you are describing. I have even tried it with a hub plugged into a hub and all devices and the IMac still worked. In fact, back when the Mini was brand new and I was playing with it, there were 4 disk drives, a keyboard, a mouse, a music keyboard and a printer daisy chained through two hubs. Worked fine.

I assume that your problem only happens when the hub is attached. My only guess at this time is that you have a defective hub or one that is just designed badly. I have had more than one flakey USB hub in the past, although not recently.

Konan

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah...there is nothing plugged into the hub when I'm having the issues. I thought that might be the problem and it still happened even when I unplugged everything that was connected to it. The only thing that was connected was my casio music keyboard.

But thanks for the help. I think you are right and it is the hub itself. It is the startech.com 7 port USB hub. So...buyers beware, I guess!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest you try and get a mains powered USB2 hub. USB 2 works just so-so on Macs, and the keyboard may well be dragging too much power from the port causing the shut down.

It can happen the port will then become inoperative. Boot and run Repair Permissions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.