Restoring Deleted Mailboxes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz, 2 Gb, Leopard 10.5.6
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so be gentle! Apologies if I've given too much detail here, but wanted to be thorough.

I'm currently on leave, and so I didn't want to check my work email (I use Mail.app 3.5 on Leopard 10.5.6). I had put my work accounts offline, but they came back online this morning (because I'd switched off my wireless router, and when I turned it back on, and clicked on "Check Mail" all the accounts came back online - I was checking my personal email account)

Anyhoo, I then wanted to move all these emails to a Mailbox so I could look at it later, but not have it in my inbox. I created a folder (let's call it "Work/Gmail"), but did not realize this would create folders this way (I can understand it now, but didn't realise when I did it):

ON MY MAC
Work (main mailbox - was white in colour)​
- Gmail (sub folder - was blue in colour)​

No issues, there, except that I also already had a folder called "Work", with many folders below it, and when it created the new one, it added the same folders as were in my already existing mailbox:

ON MY MAC
Work (new mailbox)​
- Gmail​
- Subfolder 1 (from existing mailbox)​
- Subfolder 2 (from existing mailbox)​
- Subfolder 3 (from existing mailbox)​
Sub-subfolder 3a (from existing mailbox)​
Work (existing mailbox)​
- Subfolder 1 (from existing mailbox)​
- Subfolder 2 (from existing mailbox)​
- Subfolder 3 (from existing mailbox)​
Sub-subfolder 3a (from existing mailbox)​

The subfolders created in the new mailbox were all empty (ie no email messages in them).

Obviously, I didn't want this double up of folders, so wanted to delete the ones under my new mailbox (which I had renamed at this point to "New Work Mail"). I highlighted the folders and was going to delete them, but received the warning message that it was undoable, and, out of concern for losing my existing work emails, stopped (I was suspicious that there might have been confusion because the mailbox already existed under the same name ("Work", but this was not my intention). As a test, I deleted one of the folders in the new mailbox (let's say I deleted "Sub-subfolder 3a"), because the emails in there weren't vital.

It deleted the folder from the new work mailbox, but left the old one, so I thought "great, I can delete them all, no worries". When I did, though, all the emails and folders from the existing mailbox were also deleted!

Now (and I know I'm gonna get grief for this), I don't have a backup I can restore from (am in the process of getting a backup drive, which I will be doing with great urgency now...!). Is there any way of getting these emails back? As you've hopefully seen, this is not an "I accidentally deleted my email out of stupidity" issue - I tried to do things as carefully as I could, but was bitten nonetheless. I don't quite understand why these mailbox/folders can't just go in the trash when they're deleted from Mail... but it is what it is.

Any help would be great!!! I've got a couple of file recovery programs (FileSalvage and VirtualLab Data Recovery) which are buzzing away at the moment, just in case I need to get the files back that way. These are both demo versions, though, and I'd prefer not to have to spend $ if I can avoid it.

Thanks

Nathan

Reaction score
Very Similar prob - SMART MAILBOX, not so smart!

Hi Nathan

Sorry I can´t help you, and it doesn´t bode well that no one has responded to your dilemma.

I created a SMART MAILBOX and transfered all the mail I already had in a ´ON MY MAC´ folder into it. I then deleted the original folder as I no longer had use for it, to discover that all the mail was then also deleted from the new smart folder!!

I am currently banging my head against a brick wall as it contained 90 mails all very important. :Shouting:

Having this happen made me look at another Smart Mailbox I have and noting that mails were still all repeated in the Inbox as well. I don´t understand the point of categorising if the files stay ´everywhere´ and are not simplifying for us! Obviously I haven´t deleted them - until (she says optimistically) someone gets back to us with a solution for this. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Hi Nathan

Sorry I can´t help you, and it doesn´t bode well that no one has responded to your dilemma.

I created a SMART MAILBOX and transfered all the mail I already had in a ´ON MY MAC´ folder into it. I then deleted the original folder as I no longer had use for it, to discover that all the mail was then also deleted from the new smart folder!!

I am currently banging my head against a brick wall as it contained 90 mails all very important. :Shouting:

Having this happen made me look at another Smart Mailbox I have and noting that mails were still all repeated in the Inbox as well. I don´t understand the point of categorising if the files stay ´everywhere´ and are not simplifying for us! Obviously I haven´t deleted them - until (she says optimistically) someone gets back to us with a solution for this. :Smirk:

Smart Mailboxes just contain a shortcut to the real mail, so when you deleted the original folder, away went the shortcuts.. If you want e-mail to only show in one folder make a New Mailbox (Not a Smart one) then go to Mail > Preferences > Rules and make a rule to put the mail you want in the New Mailbox. You can have more than one Rule per mailbox if you need to.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz, 2 Gb, Leopard 10.5.6
Hi Tracey,

Yeah, I'm surprised at how many questions on this forum go unanswered - pretty disappointing, really. Even if people replied back and said "there's no way of fixing that", at least it would be something... (and no comment on the fact that the only other reply I've received to this question came as a reply addressing your question and nothing to do with mine...!)

I'm afraid that I think the only answer (which, as I mentioned, is my bad for not doing in the first place) is to have backups that you can get to later. The couple of file restore programs I tried didn't give me any solutions (not that I really knew what I was looking for... again, because of the lack of response).

I have now bought a backup drive, and am exceptionally impressed with Time Machine - I assume it would be straightforward to restore a mailbox from this.

I still think that it's crazy these mailbox folders can't go in the trash, though...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, I'm surprised at how many questions on this forum go unanswered - pretty disappointing, really. Even if people replied back and said "there's no way of fixing that", at least it would be something... (and no comment on the fact that the only other reply I've received to this question came as a reply addressing your question and nothing to do with mine...!)

Sometimes it's better not to use conjecture to try to answer a question you don't know the answer for. Why would I want to reply to you and say - "sorry I have no idea". :(

I'm afraid that I think the only answer (which, as I mentioned, is my bad for not doing in the first place) is to have backups that you can get to later. The couple of file restore programs I tried didn't give me any solutions (not that I really knew what I was looking for... again, because of the lack of response).

Backups are something that are learned about the hard way. Since Leopard includes a very good backup method (Time Machine), I'm surprised more folks don't use it.

I have now bought a backup drive, and am exceptionally impressed with Time Machine - I assume it would be straightforward to restore a mailbox from this.

Yes. Time Machine will easily restore your mailboxes or your entire hard drive.

I still think that it's crazy these mailbox folders can't go in the trash, though...

Same way in Windows with OE. Delete mail permanently and it's gone for good. One way to avoid that mistake is to set the mail download option for your ISP to "leave mail on the server". That way a copy remains on the server which can be accessed and downloaded again. If you use web mail (GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail) a copy of the mail will normally remain until you delete. it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Hi Tracey,

I wasn't ignoring your problem, but I had trouble understanding what was going on and it took awhile to find a possible solution. Looks like you are using Gmail and unless you have changed the defaults it might be easy to get all your work mail back just going into Web Gmail and Marking it as Unread so it will send to you again.. Anothert way would be to set Gmail up in Mail as imap and not pop and it will resend.

I hope one of these ways will help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.