logic board damage, 1.5 yr warranty left, no money

Reaction score
Hi there!! I am new to this forum, but I have a question for all your veteran users (i have only had my macbook for 2 years). Here is what happened.

(macbook white 2.16ghz, intel core 2 duo, 110GB hard drive)
1. liquid damage on logic board. apparently from apple, it costs about $750 to fix. :Grimmace:
2. i definitely don't have that kind of money.
3. ORIGINALLY i just wanted the topcase fixed because there are cracks everywhere.
4. if i get the logic board repaired by someone other than apple, apparently it will void my apple-care warranty :Oops:
5. this actual spill happened sometime in august of 2008 and i haven't really experienced any problems. calm before the storm i guess...
6. i have already backed EVERYTHING up.

Here is what i am thinking of doing:

1. buying an older, refurbished ibook G4 for the time being. i have very small computing needs because i don't use big programs, or play games. i use very simple software. i really just need word processing and decent internet (i barely even watch youtube...)
2. selling my macbook on ebay "as is" for money. probably advertise it for the parts. i have emailed one or two trade in programs, and they rejected my trade in due to known logic-board damage :[
3. saving the money i get from ebay
4. using the G4 and treating it like a baby until i continue to save up money and get a new really really PRETTY laptop when i can afford to. I assume a new model comes out every year or two years, so i figure i'll wait it out and save up.

basically, i am paranoid about my laptop dying while i am here at school.
i have one more semester left, and a laptop is essential. our computers on campus are pretty limited.

does this sound like an ok battle plan?
any advice on something else i should consider??
i was also thinking of just KEEPING this mac and saving up to get IT fixed...but i wasn't sure if it was even worth it. :|

thanks guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.