Install Tiger on Modded iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I have a rev d iMac that I've upgraded from a 333Mhz g3 with 92Mb to 400Mhz G4 with 512Mb ram. I want to upgrade it to an 80Gb drive from the tiny 6Gb drive it came with. I installed Panther, then xpostfacto, then upgraded that to tiger, then I applied all the updates to get the system to 10.4.11. When i install the new drive i understand that I have to partition the hard drive in two, one under 8Gb and the other being the rest. But will I have to start out in 10.3, then install xpostfacto, then tiger on the new drive? Or can I somehow get to 10.4 directly?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since that modded iMac with a G4 needs XPostFacto to run tiger, I see no other way then install an older OS first so you can run XPostFacto. I have not messed with XPostFacto in quite a while but am pretty sure there is no other way.

If anyone knows something different, please post it and help the OP.

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Also, if the os is on the first smaller partition, can apps be installed on the larger partition?

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I installed a copy of Jaguar because at the time I couldn't find my Panther disks. Now I'm getting a symbol with a circle and cross, like the no entry signs on the highway. I think Apple calls it the prohibitive access sign or something. I think the only thing to do is to install Panther overtop. Any ideas? Should I be trying all this with the original cpu as opposed to the modded one?

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Incase anyones wondering, I finally got 10.2 to install (there's a scratch on the 10.3 disk) by putting in the old G3 card. I installed the XLR8 software and xpostfacto. I'm now updating the software to 10.2.8 and all the security updates, safari,etc. Once all thats done i'll switch the cpu card. After verifying that works I'll use xpost facto to upgrade to 10.4. again updating to 10.4.11.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sounds like progress. Do keep us posted!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.